From: Wincent Colaiuta on
I'm currently getting mailbombed with bounce messages because of the
interaction between cyrus and sendmail (sendmail accepts spam message
for unknown user, passes message to cyrus, cyrus rejects message,
sendmail bounces back to non-existent address forged by spammer,
remote mail server sends bounce message to the postmaster, me).

I know this is a known issue and the question has come up quite a few
times in the archives (search "smmapd" if you're curious), but a few
years have passed since the last activity that I can find (2005), and
I'd like to know if there is any way to avoid this problem _without_
hacking/patching Sendmail.

This page outlines the steps that need to be taken, involving patching
cf/m4/proto.m4:

http://ftp.nakedape.cc/pub/anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/rtcyrus2.html

And the official cyrus site only says, "Cyrus also includes a socket
map daemon smmapd ... To use this daemon, add smmapd as a service in
cyrus.conf and configure Sendmail accordingly.":

http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/imapd/install-configure.html

Basically, I'm wondering if in 2008 "configure Sendmail accordingly"
can be down without patching. I'm running sendmail 8.13.8-2.el5 and
cyrus 2.3.7-1.1.el5 (provided by Red Hat with RHEL 5.1). I didn't
actually choose cyrus myself, it was just the "official" imap solution
provided; things were a bit easier with UW-IMAP.

Cheers,
Wincent

From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Wincent Colaiuta <win(a)wincent.com> wrote:

> I'm currently getting mailbombed with bounce messages because of the
> interaction between cyrus and sendmail (sendmail accepts spam message
> for unknown user, passes message to cyrus, cyrus rejects message,
> sendmail bounces back to non-existent address forged by spammer,
> remote mail server sends bounce message to the postmaster, me).
>
> I know this is a known issue and the question has come up quite a few
> times in the archives (search "smmapd" if you're curious), but a few
> years have passed since the last activity that I can find (2005), and
> I'd like to know if there is any way to avoid this problem _without_
> hacking/patching Sendmail.
>
> This page outlines the steps that need to be taken, involving patching
> cf/m4/proto.m4:
>
> http://ftp.nakedape.cc/pub/anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/rtcyrus2.html
>
> And the official cyrus site only says, "Cyrus also includes a socket
> map daemon smmapd ... To use this daemon, add smmapd as a service in
> cyrus.conf and configure Sendmail accordingly.":
>
> http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/imapd/install-configure.html
>
> Basically, I'm wondering if in 2008 "configure Sendmail accordingly"
> can be down without patching. I'm running sendmail 8.13.8-2.el5 and
> cyrus 2.3.7-1.1.el5 (provided by Red Hat with RHEL 5.1). I didn't
> actually choose cyrus myself, it was just the "official" imap solution
> provided; things were a bit easier with UW-IMAP.

0) patching cf/m4/proto.m4 changes files used during generating
sendmail.cf (sendmail configuration file) - no recompilation of
sendmail binaries is required if your sendmail is already compiled
with socketmap support

Use the command below to find out if your sendmail supports sockemap:
/usr/sbin/sendmail -d0.1 -bv root | grep SOCKETMAP

1) There is RTCyrus3 (next version)
http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/rtcyrus3/

It has been designed for better support of cyrus virtual domain and
aliases

--
[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)priv.onet.pl : anfi(a)xl.wp.pl
Open-Sendmail:
From: Wincent Colaiuta on
On 29 mar, 22:06, Andrzej Adam Filip <a...(a)onet.eu> wrote:

> 1) There is RTCyrus3 (next version)
>    http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/rtcyrus3/

Ok, well I will give it a try...

Cheers,
Wincent

From: Wincent Colaiuta on
On 29 mar, 22:06, Andrzej Adam Filip <a...(a)onet.eu> wrote:

> 1) There is RTCyrus3 (next version)
>    http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/rtcyrus3/

Ok, I've got it up and running. One minor change tweak I made was to
look up the domains in a flat file; ie:

F{VCyrusDomains}/etc/mail/cyrus-virtual-domains

Rather than:

C{VCyrusDomains} example.net example.com

That should be all right, shouldn't it?

Cheers,
Wincent

From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Wincent Colaiuta <win(a)wincent.com> wrote:

> On 29 mar, 22:06, Andrzej Adam Filip <a...(a)onet.eu> wrote:
>>
>> 1) There is RTCyrus3 (next version)
>>    http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/rtcyrus3/
>>

> Ok, I've got it up and running. One minor change tweak I made was to
> look up the domains in a flat file; ie:
>
> F{VCyrusDomains}/etc/mail/cyrus-virtual-domains
>
> Rather than:
>
> C{VCyrusDomains} example.net example.com
>
> That should be all right, shouldn't it?

It is another way of providing the list of cyrus virtual domains to
RTCyrus - use whichever you like more :-)

Feel free to report any problems (bugs) at
*OR* positive results of the tests

P.S.
After small changes in cyrus imap it should be possible to make sendmail
"know" that given cyrus mailbox is in "over quota" state before sending
"RCPT TO" reply.

--
[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)priv.onet.pl : anfi(a)xl.wp.pl
Open-Sendmail: http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/