From: AHartman on
Can you use sp_send_dbmail within a trigger ?

In converting one of our old Sql7 apps to Sql2005(sp2) there is a Table
that has a Trigger and that code called xp_sendmail which worked.
Now when converting that to Sql2005 using Dbmail it seems to hang trying to
Process the mail send.

The trace showed that it was waiting msql_xpwait...

Does anyone have code that they have used to make this work?

Thanks.

From: Ben Nevarez on

Hello,

I just tested this and it worked for me.

Perhaps you want to
1) Test the sp_send_dbmail alone on the query window (that is, not inside a
trigger).
2) Look for errors on the Database Mail Log.

Hope this helps,

Ben Nevarez
Senior Database Administrator
AIG SunAmerica

From: AHartman on
The DBmail piece will work as long as I don't include he @query piece.

The @query reads a table to email the content.

Do you have an example of what you did?

Thanks...

From: Ben Nevarez on

Are you running the query against the same table owning the trigger?

I tried that also and I see waits of type MSQL_XP. I tried again using WITH
(NOLOCK) on the query and now it works.

From: AHartman on
The query is run against another table not the trigger owning table.