From: Frank Bonnet on
Hello all ( Postfix and Dovecot )

Trying to use deliver as mailbox_command with Postfix I get this
error each time an email is arriving

deliver(xxxxxxxx): Error: file_dotlock_create(/var/mail/xxxxxxxx)
failed: Permission denied (euid=3003(xxxxxxxx) egid=3010(smig) missing
+w perm: /var/mail) (set mail_privileged_group=mail)

Doea this means I have to chmod 777 the /var/mail directory ?

Thanks a lot

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Frank Bonnet put forth on 2/12/2010 10:05 AM:
> Hello all ( Postfix and Dovecot )
>
> Trying to use deliver as mailbox_command with Postfix I get this
> error each time an email is arriving
>
> deliver(xxxxxxxx): Error: file_dotlock_create(/var/mail/xxxxxxxx)
> failed: Permission denied (euid=3003(xxxxxxxx) egid=3010(smig) missing
> +w perm: /var/mail) (set mail_privileged_group=mail)
>
> Doea this means I have to chmod 777 the /var/mail directory ?

If you're using dovecot mbox format but are not going to use sieve etc, then
just have Postfix local drop the mail. That's what I do. Works great.

--
Stan

From: Frank Bonnet on
On 02/12/10 18:25, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Frank Bonnet put forth on 2/12/2010 10:05 AM:
>> Hello all ( Postfix and Dovecot )
>>
>> Trying to use deliver as mailbox_command with Postfix I get this
>> error each time an email is arriving
>>
>> deliver(xxxxxxxx): Error: file_dotlock_create(/var/mail/xxxxxxxx)
>> failed: Permission denied (euid=3003(xxxxxxxx) egid=3010(smig) missing
>> +w perm: /var/mail) (set mail_privileged_group=mail)
>>
>> Doea this means I have to chmod 777 the /var/mail directory ?
>
> If you're using dovecot mbox format but are not going to use sieve etc, then
> just have Postfix local drop the mail. That's what I do. Works great.

Hello

Well I do use sieve to let Roundcube build email filters ...

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Frank Bonnet put forth on 2/15/2010 3:10 AM:
> On 02/12/10 18:25, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Frank Bonnet put forth on 2/12/2010 10:05 AM:
>>> Hello all ( Postfix and Dovecot )
>>>
>>> Trying to use deliver as mailbox_command with Postfix I get this
>>> error each time an email is arriving
>>>
>>> deliver(xxxxxxxx): Error: file_dotlock_create(/var/mail/xxxxxxxx)
>>> failed: Permission denied (euid=3003(xxxxxxxx) egid=3010(smig) missing
>>> +w perm: /var/mail) (set mail_privileged_group=mail)
>>>
>>> Doea this means I have to chmod 777 the /var/mail directory ?

No. And never use 777. Avoid it at all costs.

> Well I do use sieve to let Roundcube build email filters ...

In that case I believe the answer is possibly in the error message itself:
(set mail_privileged_group=mail)

From /etc/dovecot/dovecot/conf:
# Group to enable temporarily for privileged operations. Currently this is
# used only with INBOX when either its initial creation or dotlocking fails.
# Typically this is set to "mail" to give access to /var/mail.
mail_privileged_group = mail

It appears your deliver process isn't running with the proper credentials to
allow writing (+w in the err) to the user mail files. The error message, I
believe, is telling you to set

mail_privileged_group=mail

in dovecot.conf

Give that a shot and see if it fixes the problem. BTW, did this problem crop up
on a production system, out of the blue? If so, did you make any changes, and
what changes did you make? Or is this a new system and you're just setting it
up? Or did you just switch from Postfix local delivery to dovecot LDA and the
problems started?

--
Stan

From: Timo Sirainen on
On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 17:05 +0100, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> deliver(xxxxxxxx): Error: file_dotlock_create(/var/mail/xxxxxxxx)
> failed: Permission denied (euid=3003(xxxxxxxx) egid=3010(smig) missing
> +w perm: /var/mail) (set mail_privileged_group=mail)
>
> Doea this means I have to chmod 777 the /var/mail directory ?

See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Mbox#Locking

And especially:

NOTE: With deliver the mail_privileged_group setting unfortunately
doesn't work, so you'll have to use the sticky bit or disable dotlocking
completely.

With v2.0 LMTP server makes this easier.

Pages: 1
Prev: Duplicate filtering
Next: Scalable