From: Big Bill on
Hi

Ubuntu 8.04 desktop, LAMP,Firestarter,Denyhosts on a DMZ port of a router.
4 different Win and Linux stations on the LAN.

Denyhosts does a great job except for one thing.

I can't upload any file from the LAN to the server with FileZilla. The
connection opens but the transfer is rejected. Then the address of the
sending station on the lan is written in hosts.deny even if I have ALL:
192.168.2. in hosts.allow

How can I set denyhosts to accept all actions from identified machines ?

The other stations are used in the wood shop, the paint shop etc and I
must UL/DL in order to use or save files to the server. I can also be on
the road and need a file from the server.

Thanks
From: Moe Trin on
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
article <honmm5$t9$1(a)news.ett.com.ua>, Big Bill wrote:

>Denyhosts does a great job

In the eye of the beholder. I prefer to use a 'mostly closed' model
(man 5 hosts_access) where the default is to block all, and only allow
access from address ranges which I know. Thus, I have no need for
these Self Denial Of Service applications like denyhosts, or the
similar 'blockhosts', 'fail2ban' or 'blocksshd'.

>except for one thing.
>
>I can't upload any file from the LAN to the server with FileZilla. The
>connection opens but the transfer is rejected.

Denyhosts is a log reader, and is being triggered by a bad login name
or authentication used by FileZilla. The transfer being rejected is
more likely to be a user/authentication/permission problem with the
server, rather than a problem with denyhosts.

Denyhosts doesn't look at hosts.allow - it looks at the logs.

>How can I set denyhosts to accept all actions from identified machines ?

Denyhosts doesn't seem to have a 'whitelist' (ignore) capability.
Use a ``valid'' username when you're connecting. The problem could be
the configuration of 'FileZilla' or the configuration of your file
server. Look in the logs that 'denyhosts' is reading, and you should
find what your server application is barfing about.

>I can also be on the road and need a file from the server.

That is a more difficult problem if you are being bothered by every
zombie/'bot on the Internet trying to connect to your server (the
reason you are using a Self Denial Of Service tool like denyhosts).
I only allow connections to my home systems from a /22 and two /24s
"outside" or a total of 1530 addresses, because I really don't expect
authorized users to be connecting from Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati,
Korea, or Kuwait or a lot of other places either. Lest someone from
those countries object, I also don't allow access from nearly all ISPs
in North America. When I travel, I use a form of port-knocking to
provide an _extra_ hoop to jump through before being able to connect
to the server (in addition to the normal authentication mechanism).

Another solution is to move the server from the 'well known port' to
some unexpected one (example, move ssh from 22/tcp to 123/tcp). A
minor problem with this (and port knocking) is that businesses often
block _outbound_ access to non-standard ports.

Old guy
From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-03-28, Moe Trin <ibuprofin(a)painkiller.example.tld.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
> article <honmm5$t9$1(a)news.ett.com.ua>, Big Bill wrote:
>
>>How can I set denyhosts to accept all actions from identified machines ?
>
> Denyhosts doesn't seem to have a 'whitelist' (ignore) capability.

Yes it does.

http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/faq.html#3_7

> Use a ``valid'' username when you're connecting.

If you use a valid username but bad password too many times, DenyHosts
will block you, unless you're in the allowed-hosts file.

The OP may still need to manually modify hosts.deny and restart
denyhosts in order to have any added entries to allowed-hosts to take
effect.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Big Bill on
Keith Keller a �crit :
> On 2010-03-28, Moe Trin <ibuprofin(a)painkiller.example.tld.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
>> article <honmm5$t9$1(a)news.ett.com.ua>, Big Bill wrote:
>>
>>> How can I set denyhosts to accept all actions from identified machines ?
>> Denyhosts doesn't seem to have a 'whitelist' (ignore) capability.
>
> Yes it does.
>
> http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/faq.html#3_7
>
>> Use a ``valid'' username when you're connecting.
>
> If you use a valid username but bad password too many times, DenyHosts
> will block you, unless you're in the allowed-hosts file.

The ID used with Filezilla is a registered user of the system and not
the admin'.

Before firestarter, I could access the server by it's name (pingouin),
now it's only available by it's ip. No big deal. Filezilla could
transfer without a problem.

Since Denyhosts, no transfers. I can access the server with putty,
winscp, scp, all using admin id but not filezilla who uses another id.

Logins have been modified in filezilla to reflect the rules of
firestarter but still no success.

At the very first try, denyhosts blacklists the address.

> The OP may still need to manually modify hosts.deny and restart
> denyhosts in order to have any added entries to allowed-hosts to take
> effect.

Is there more controlable utility that I could use instead ? Something
light preferably as it's not a commercial server and I'm not a pro OP.

From: Big Bill on
Big Bill a �crit :

I've finally found what was wrong.

A mispelled user in vsftpd conf files. Now filezilla works and denyhosts
doesn't complain anymore.

Thanks you all for your answers