From: Phred Phungus on
Hello newsgroup, I've got a grab bag of questions that I think are
topical here.

Apparently, unix directories have permissions. How do I determine what
the permissions are for, say, /usr/bin/ ?

What are the roles of the . and .. ?

The period here seems to indicate the current directory:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

opendir(THISDIR, ".") or die "tja $!";
@allfiles = readdir THISDIR;
closedir THISDIR;
print "@allfiles\n";

# ./t2.pl >text1.txt

Thanks for your comment and cheers,
--
fred
From: Janis Papanagnou on
Phred Phungus wrote:
> Hello newsgroup, I've got a grab bag of questions that I think are
> topical here.
>
> Apparently, unix directories have permissions. How do I determine what
> the permissions are for, say, /usr/bin/ ?

ls -ld /usr/bin

Permissions are coded in the first column. For their meaning read

man chmod

> What are the roles of the . and .. ?

The current directory and the parent of current directory, respectively.

Janis

From: Seebs on
On 2010-02-09, Phred Phungus <Phred(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> Apparently, unix directories have permissions. How do I determine what
> the permissions are for, say, /usr/bin/ ?

stat, ls -ld, whatever

> What are the roles of the . and .. ?

"." is the directory itself, ".." is its parent.

> The period here seems to indicate the current directory:

Any path starts out by default in the current directory. By
contrast:
/././././.
is the same as
/
and
/usr/bin/.
is the same as
/usr/bin

So, what do you think /usr/bin/.././bin/./../bin is?

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Ed Morton on
On 2/9/2010 1:46 AM, Phred Phungus wrote:
> Hello newsgroup, I've got a grab bag of questions that I think are
> topical here.
>
> Apparently, unix directories have permissions. How do I determine what
> the permissions are for, say, /usr/bin/ ?
>
> What are the roles of the . and .. ?

Did you notice that the answers you've got so far are for shell, not necessarily
for perl? Since this is comp.unix.SHELL rather than comp.lang.PERL, by default
you should expect to get shell answers. There are some perl users hang out here
too so chances are you will be able to get perl-specific answers if you say
up-front in each posting that that's what you're looking for, but there's
probably a more appropriate NG out there where you might reach a broader
audience of perl experts (like comp.lang.awk for awk). I don't believe it's
comp.lang.perl as I think I remember hearing it's not getting used any more but
I don't know what the right NG would be, maybe a perl user could chime in....

Ed.

From: Ben Bacarisse on
Ed Morton <mortonspam(a)gmail.com> writes:
<snip>
> Did you notice that the answers you've got so far are for shell, not
> necessarily for perl? Since this is comp.unix.SHELL rather than
> comp.lang.PERL, by default you should expect to get shell
> answers. There are some perl users hang out here too so chances are
> you will be able to get perl-specific answers if you say up-front in
> each posting that that's what you're looking for, but there's probably
> a more appropriate NG out there where you might reach a broader
> audience of perl experts (like comp.lang.awk for awk). I don't believe
> it's comp.lang.perl as I think I remember hearing it's not getting
> used any more but I don't know what the right NG would be, maybe a
> perl user could chime in....

It is (or was) comp.lang.perl.misc

<snip>
--