From: Bob Tracy on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 02:57:36PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> (...)
> Jul 23 13:57:26 no1nozit kernel: [ 1182.910095] eth2: register 'dm9601' at usb-0000:00:1d.0-2, Davicom DM9601 USB Ethernet, 04:00:06:04:06:e0
> (...)
> ... the reported MAC address may not be correct -- I need to check
> against the value reported for WinXP...

As suspected, the Linux driver is reporting a bogus value. The correct
MAC address is 00:06:06:e0:00:1a. Perhaps this is a useful clue as to
what's going on.

--Bob
From: Valdis.Kletnieks on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:57:36 CDT, Bob Tracy said:
> I've got one of the inexpensive Davicom DM9601 USB to fast Ethernet
> devices, commonly available on eBay for under $10 including shipping.
> It works fairly well in a WinXP environment with a MTU of 1000: 1500
> and 1492 are confirmed not working, and values between 1000 and 1492
> have not been tested at this point.

Wow. An "ethernet" card that won't do an MTU of 1500 even under Windows. May I
add this to my gallery of examples I use when people say "no vendor could
*possibly* ship hardware that fscked up"? :)

From: Chris Fowler on
On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 10:44 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks(a)vt.edu wrote:
> Wow. An "ethernet" card that won't do an MTU of 1500 even under
> Windows. May I
> add this to my gallery of examples I use when people say "no vendor
> could
> *possibly* ship hardware that fscked up"? :)

A lot of these "cards" are not meant for you and I. They are meant for
casual desktop users that would never put any amount of load on them.

About 6 years ago we needed some PCMCIA modem cards and bought 100 of
them from a vendor for $25/ea. They started failing in the field. When
calling they just could not sync up. Only a reboot could fix the
problem. What we learned was that a combination of heat and other
factors caused them to drift so much the timing was off. We replaced
those in the field with Zoom 3075 at about $65/ea. These modems were
not meant for our solution. They were meant for casual laptop users
that needed to dial an ISP every so often. I was expecting them to work
in a box that would stay up 24x7. They couldn't handle it. I wrote a
perl program that used a TLS-4 simulator and would dial the modem
constantly. The failures were too much. On the Zooms we would average
10 failures per 1000 calls.

From: Bob Tracy on
On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 10:44:41AM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks(a)vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:57:36 CDT, Bob Tracy said:
> > I've got one of the inexpensive Davicom DM9601 USB to fast Ethernet
> > devices, commonly available on eBay for under $10 including shipping.
> > It works fairly well in a WinXP environment with a MTU of 1000: 1500
> > and 1492 are confirmed not working, and values between 1000 and 1492
> > have not been tested at this point.
>
> Wow. An "ethernet" card that won't do an MTU of 1500 even under Windows. May I
> add this to my gallery of examples I use when people say "no vendor could
> *possibly* ship hardware that fscked up"? :)

You may :-), although I wouldn't assume the Windows driver is blameless.
At 100 Mbit/s, flow-control simply has to work if the device is USB 1.1.
According to the data sheet, there's a total of 16 kB of on-chip SRAM
available for buffering (oddly enough, the documentation indicates the
device *could* support up to 64 kB of SRAM). Gotta shovel out that
stall quickly, and I suspect using a smaller MTU is simply giving an
inefficient driver more time to do that. If I don't get tired of
messing around with this adapter, I may experiment a little to see what
happens when I lock the interface speed at 10 Mbit/s (instead of letting
it auto-sense).

Another respondent said MTU >= 1280 is required for IPv6, so I gave that
a try just to see if the floor could be raised a bit above 1000. For
what it's worth, 1280 works.

--Bob