From: big on
I'm installing new edge in Dmz
the prerequisite is to configure the dns suffix, but I didn't find a
reply to my question:
the dns suffix is the same of the dns in lan or do I need to create
new suffix for edge?
thank
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 07:55:04 -0700 (PDT), big <d.digrego(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm installing new edge in Dmz
>the prerequisite is to configure the dns suffix, but I didn't find a
>reply to my question:
>the dns suffix is the same of the dns in lan or do I need to create
>new suffix for edge?

I suppose that goes to the question of how your internal DNS resolves
names. :-)

If your internal DNS domain is the same as you external DNS domain
then there's no issue.

If your external DNS domain is different to your internal DNS domain
name then you'll either have a separate DNS zone on your internal DNS
to handle names in your external DNS domain (which is a good idea) or
your internal DNS will have to send name queries to your exernal DNS
(which means that all your external FQDNs are resolvable by internal
users -- which may not be a good idea).
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: big on
On 11 Giu, 22:52, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richn...(a)rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 07:55:04 -0700 (PDT), big <d.digr...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm installing new edge in Dmz
> >the prerequisite is to configure the dns suffix, but I didn't find a
> >reply to my question:
> >the dns suffix is the same of the dns in lan or do I need to create
> >new suffix for edge?
>
> I suppose that goes to the question of how your internal DNS resolves
> names. :-)
>
> If your internal DNS domain is the same as you external DNS domain
> then there's no issue.
>
> If your external DNS domain is different to your internal DNS domain
> name then you'll either have a separate DNS zone on your internal DNS
> to handle names in your external DNS domain (which is a good idea) or
> your internal DNS will have to send name queries to your exernal DNS
> (which means that all your external FQDNs are resolvable by internal
> users -- which may not be a good idea).
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

thank you for your reply, excuse me if I bother
Yes, my external DNS domain is different to my internal DNS domain

My mx record is mail.company.com
My external dns domani is company.com
The internal DNS domain, is corp.company.com
DMZ hasn't dns domain

I'm installing Edge in DMZ while Exchange in LAN
DMZ hasn't any dns so I thought to inser in EDGE hosts file name
resolution for Exchage, and all internet request will be forwarded to
my ISP.

First:
If I use edge.corp.company.com for EDGE, it will reach Exchange with
host file while Exchange will reach Edge with a query in their DNS in
lan

Second:
If I use edge.company2.dmz, Edge will reach Exchange with host file
while Exchange will reach edge with a query in DNS in lan but I must
add new zone in DNS.

Which is the best option? (the third :-) )
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 02:01:24 -0700 (PDT), big <d.digrego(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 11 Giu, 22:52, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
><richn...(a)rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 07:55:04 -0700 (PDT), big <d.digr...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm installing new edge in Dmz
>> >the prerequisite is to configure the dns suffix, but I didn't find a
>> >reply to my question:
>> >the dns suffix is the same of the dns in lan or do I need to create
>> >new suffix for edge?
>>
>> I suppose that goes to the question of how your internal DNS resolves
>> names. :-)
>>
>> If your internal DNS domain is the same as you external DNS domain
>> then there's no issue.
>>
>> If your external DNS domain is different to your internal DNS domain
>> name then you'll either have a separate DNS zone on your internal DNS
>> to handle names in your external DNS domain (which is a good idea) or
>> your internal DNS will have to send name queries to your exernal DNS
>> (which means that all your external FQDNs are resolvable by internal
>> users -- which may not be a good idea).
>> ---
>> Rich Matheisen
>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>

>thank you for your reply, excuse me if I bother
>Yes, my external DNS domain is different to my internal DNS domain
>
>My mx record is mail.company.com
>My external dns domani is company.com
>The internal DNS domain, is corp.company.com
>DMZ hasn't dns domain
>
>I'm installing Edge in DMZ while Exchange in LAN
>DMZ hasn't any dns

How does your internal DNS resolve names in the DMZ? Surely, you can
add a DNS zone to your internal DNS to resolve names in the
company.com domain.

>so I thought to inser in EDGE hosts file name
>resolution for Exchage,

Ewwwww!

>and all internet request will be forwarded to
>my ISP.

I like the additional DNS zone idea for the LAN better. It's
centralized. It's managable. It works. 'Hosts' files remind me of the
time before DNS existed, or before people realized how unmanagable
large host files could be.

>First:
>If I use edge.corp.company.com for EDGE, it will reach Exchange with
>host file while Exchange will reach Edge with a query in their DNS in
>lan

Or you could just have the edge server use the internal DNS to resolve
names. Again, it's managable.

>Second:
>If I use edge.company2.dmz, Edge will reach Exchange with host file
>while Exchange will reach edge with a query in DNS in lan but I must
>add new zone in DNS.
>
>Which is the best option? (the third :-) )

Yeah. The third. Use DNS.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: big on
excuse me again.
Try to imagine.
AD with DNS integrate domain (corp.company.com)
Internal clinet query this DNS for internal resource where DNS is
authoritative, while for other requests, dns query my ISP.
E-mail address example: john(a)company.com

A day, my CIO, ask me to add exchange 2007.
I installed it with all the role in LAN except EDGE that I'm going to
install in DMZ.
DMZ is ready about routing but there aren't any other services.
My question is: witch is the correct dns suffix for edge?
after this reply, I could menage how DNS resolve name, and how many
dns I need.

I looking for a best practise for this scenario.
In the next future I could install a DNS server in DMZ as a forwarder
for DNS in LAN.