From: Borislav Petkov on
From: Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap(a)oracle.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:05:45PM -0700

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:27:13 -0700 Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap(a)oracle.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > (hopefully I got this right.  I'm not a big git user.)
> >
> > Hmm. No.
> >
> > The commit otherwise looks correct, but the commit message is
> > buggered. The first line of the message is
> >
> > From: Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap(a)oracle.com>
> >
> > rather than the subject of the patch itself.
> >
> > No fear. Practice makes perfect. Just try again ;)
>

> Will do... but how do I edit the commit message?

git commit --amend

after you've made sure that the commit you want to edit is at the tip of
the current branch.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.
From: Kees Bakker on
On 20 Jul, 2010, at 17:39 , Randy Dunlap wrote:

> Please pull from
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdunlap/linux-docs/ #linuxdocs
>
> for one changeset:
>
> commit f0e4984f0df34e344809c35387d895b57eab5dcc
> Author: Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap(a)oracle.com>
> Date: Mon Jul 19 22:20:27 2010 +0000
>
> Subject: documentation: fix almost duplicate filenames (IO/io-mapping.txt)
> From: Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap(a)oracle.com>
>
> Having both IO-mapping.txt and io-mapping.txt in Documentation/
> was confusing and/or bothersome to some people, so rename
> IO-mapping.txt to bus-virt-phys-mapping.txt. Also update
> Documentation/00-INDEX for both of these files.
[...]

Thanks Randy, for making this change. However, there are 13 other pairs of
files that have a similar name conflict (all in the netfilter area). And it
seems to me that these files cannot simply be renamed, because these files
are also part of libc, or perhaps some other public library. Damn. Too late
to complain now.

The files I'm talking about are:
net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_ECN.c net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_ecn.c
net/netfilter/xt_tcpmss.c net/netfilter/xt_TCPMSS.c
net/netfilter/xt_DSCP.c net/netfilter/xt_dscp.c
net/netfilter/xt_rateest.c net/netfilter/xt_RATEEST.c
net/netfilter/xt_HL.c net/netfilter/xt_hl.c
include/linux/netfilter_ipv6/ip6t_hl.h include/linux/netfilter_ipv6/ip6t_HL.h
include/linux/netfilter/xt_tcpmss.h include/linux/netfilter/xt_TCPMSS.h
include/linux/netfilter/xt_rateest.h include/linux/netfilter/xt_RATEEST.h
include/linux/netfilter/xt_MARK.h include/linux/netfilter/xt_mark.h
include/linux/netfilter/xt_CONNMARK.h include/linux/netfilter/xt_connmark.h
include/linux/netfilter/xt_DSCP.h include/linux/netfilter/xt_dscp.h
include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_ECN.h include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_ecn.h
include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_ttl.h include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_TTL.h

What this means is that you cannot do a git-clone of the kernel tree on a Mac
(which has case insensitive filesystem). It's not a huge deal, but to me it
seemed like an unnecessary limitation. (That was when I thought it was just
io-mapping.txt)

Kees