From: Eugen Ciur on
Hi,

is there a way to call ri documentation from irb ?
Something like:

shell>irb
irb(main):001:0> help inspect
NameError: undefined method `execute' for module `IRB::ExtendCommand::Help'
from (eval):4:in `instance_method'
from (eval):4:in `help'
from (irb):1
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:1016

From: Eugen Ciur on
wow, it has even tab completion!
thank you Dan!

--
Eugen Ciur
Research& Development Team, PrimeTel PLC

From: Guido De Rosa on
Eugen Ciur wrote:
> wow, it has even tab completion!

that's easy to get, even without wirble; just:

require 'irb/completion'

--
G.

From: Gabriel Horner on
Eugen Ciur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to call ri documentation from irb ?

If you just want to access ri within irb then this would do in your
irbrc:

def help(*args); system('ri', *args); end

If you want a smarter ri, see
http://eigenclass.org/hiki/irb+ri+completion and
http://tagaholic.me/2009/06/19/page-irb-output-and-improve-ri-with-hirb.html#ri
From: Eugen Ciur on
Thank you!

Gabriel, the only remark is that if I leave method's name 'help' then
upon loading irb a warning is issued:

irb: warn: can't alias help from irb_help.

If 'help' will be renamed to something else, for example, 'hel', then
it is possible to call ri help from command line only if its arguments
will be quoted:

irb(main):007:0> hel String
TypeError: can't convert Class into String
from /home/eugen/.irbrc:3:in `system'
from /home/eugen/.irbrc:3:in `hel'
from (irb):7
from :0