From: GrandpaFerret on
I recently wanted to go back in time on my winXP box and used "system
restore" to go back to a known good point in time.

All went well, except that for some strange reason doing this caused winXP
to create a new profile (named "Administrator.<hostname>") and use it instead
of the perfectly good profile named "Administrator".

Why? How can I keep this from happening in the future?
How, short of using regedit, can I go back to the old profile name (maybe
just deleting the profile called "administrator" and renaming the new one to
have the name "administrator".

thanks,
From: Shenan Stanley on
GrandpaFerret wrote:
> I recently wanted to go back in time on my winXP box and used
> "system restore" to go back to a known good point in time.
>
> All went well, except that for some strange reason doing this
> caused winXP to create a new profile (named
> "Administrator.<hostname>") and use it instead of the perfectly
> good profile named "Administrator".
>
> Why? How can I keep this from happening in the future?
> How, short of using regedit, can I go back to the old profile name
> (maybe just deleting the profile called "administrator" and
> renaming the new one to have the name "administrator".

Don't just go *deleting* something. There may be a reason the new profile
got created (something defective in it, etc). Plus - why are you using the
built-in administrator account anyway? Bad plan.

In any case - reboot and logon as any other user (other than
"administrator") with administrative level access. Rename the
"administrator.<hostname>" account to "administrator.OLD" and rename the
"administrator" account to "administrator.<hostname>". Reboot. Log on as
"administrator". That work?

(Truthfully - the registry edit thing works just as well.)

If it doesn;t work - then *something* is wrong with that old profile. Copy
the data (My Documents, Desktop, Start Menu, Email profiles, etc) from the
old profile into the new one and just continue using it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Anteaus on
http://sf.net/projects/reprofiler

From: GrandpaFerret on
Thanks for the help!

The "problem" profile should have been "clean"... it was created very
recently as part of an OS reload (from scratch, disk wiped, using unattend).
I cant imagine why windows thought there was a problem with it.

It is very good to know that it did think there was a problem and that was
the reason why it created the new profile.

Shenan,

Is there any log file left lying around that would tell me what the OS found
objectionable in the profile?

And yes, I know. I am a long time UNIX sysadmin and know better then
leaving root lying around... but last time I checked (windows 98 probably) we
were stuck with the Administrator account in windows. I will check into if
it can be removed in XP or not now that you have fussed at me about it. :)

Anteaus - thanks for the link. Maybe this tool can shed some light on why
XP thought the old profile was bad.

Thanks to both of you.

From: Jim on
The built in Administrator account cannot be removed. However, you can
rename the account to something less obvious. And, you should give it a
password which is not obvious to one and all.
Jim
"GrandpaFerret" <GrandpaFerret(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the help!
>
> The "problem" profile should have been "clean"... it was created very
> recently as part of an OS reload (from scratch, disk wiped, using
> unattend).
> I cant imagine why windows thought there was a problem with it.
>
> It is very good to know that it did think there was a problem and that was
> the reason why it created the new profile.
>
> Shenan,
>
> Is there any log file left lying around that would tell me what the OS
> found
> objectionable in the profile?
>
> And yes, I know. I am a long time UNIX sysadmin and know better then
> leaving root lying around... but last time I checked (windows 98 probably)
> we
> were stuck with the Administrator account in windows. I will check into
> if
> it can be removed in XP or not now that you have fussed at me about it. :)
>
> Anteaus - thanks for the link. Maybe this tool can shed some light on why
> XP thought the old profile was bad.
>
> Thanks to both of you.
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2