From: fisico32 on
hello forum,

I know that is it is possible to downconvert high frequencies to lower
frequencies....

what is the highest frequency we can downconvert and why? How is it done?

( I don't think the issue exists in the reverse direction: we can convert
any low frequency signal to a high frequency one)

thanks
fisico32
From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/18/2010 06:41 AM, fisico32 wrote:
> hello forum,
>
> I know that is it is possible to downconvert high frequencies to lower
> frequencies....
>
> what is the highest frequency we can downconvert and why? How is it done?
>
> ( I don't think the issue exists in the reverse direction: we can convert
> any low frequency signal to a high frequency one)

To respond to your title, yes, there are nonlinear optical materials
that will mix two laser beams to a longer wavelength signal.

I don't know how far above the visible this sort of thing works -- it
is, AFAIK, a chemical bond thing, which would stop responding to light
somewhere between far infrared and X-ray.

But -- AFAIK -- the phase noise in even a really good laser beam is
huge, so you'd have to have exceptionally high data rates to maintain
enough phase correlation over a bit interval to make such a technique
worthwhile. I think it's still in the experimental stage, and will be
for quite a while.

(The reason for all the "AFAIK" qualifications above is because I have
friends to chat with who've done work on this, but no direct experience,
or even articles read)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
(snip)

> To respond to your title, yes, there are nonlinear optical materials
> that will mix two laser beams to a longer wavelength signal.

> I don't know how far above the visible this sort of thing works -- it
> is, AFAIK, a chemical bond thing, which would stop responding to light
> somewhere between far infrared and X-ray.

I would expect the limit to be somewhere before vacuum UV, which is
the frequency where all dielectrics start absorbing. Otherwise,
you need a crystal with the appropriate non-linearities.

It is techniques like this that allow for optical frequency
counting, and the reason for defining the speed of light.
Until that point, time measurments and distance measurements
had about the same relative uncertainty, around 1e-8.
Optical frequency counting moved the relative uncertainty of
time measurements down to 1e-15 or so. Defining the speed of
light allows for the same uncertainty for distance (defined
in terms of speed and time.)

> But -- AFAIK -- the phase noise in even a really good laser beam is
> huge, so you'd have to have exceptionally high data rates to maintain
> enough phase correlation over a bit interval to make such a technique
> worthwhile. I think it's still in the experimental stage, and will be
> for quite a while.

-- glen
From: HardySpicer on
On Jul 19, 1:41 am, "fisico32" <marcoscipioni1(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
wrote:
> hello forum,
>
> I know that is it is possible to downconvert high frequencies to lower
> frequencies....
>
> what is the highest frequency we can downconvert and why? How is it done?
>
>  ( I don't think the issue exists in the reverse direction:  we can convert
> any low frequency signal to a high frequency one)
>
> thanks
> fisico32

Yep and people have even worked on optical PLLs. In theory if you pass
a laser through a special crystal that doubles the frequency you
should be able to get X-rays off it but I don't believe you do as the
freq response is seldom high enough in the material.

Hardy
From: steveu on
>hello forum,
>
>I know that is it is possible to downconvert high frequencies to lower
>frequencies....
>
>what is the highest frequency we can downconvert and why? How is it done?
>
> ( I don't think the issue exists in the reverse direction: we can
convert
>any low frequency signal to a high frequency one)

One crude downconvert with real world applications is to shine two lasers
on a silicon photosensor. I think most types of silicon sensor work OK for
this. The modes of a laser are typically hundreds of megahertz apart. If
you use gratings to pick out a single mode from each of the lasers, you
will see the difference frequency in the output of the sensor.

Steve