From: audaxrex on
I have done a dismal, dreadful thing with my new Acer netbook… I used
a pair of USB keys to move 2Gb writing photos music etc. into its
160Gb hard drive. One of the keys I used properly… the other I did not
properly shut off before removing. AND… I had some recent writing I
was doing as I went.
Sooo… I wanted to move the writing back to my old pc… and I decided
to clear the USB key of files. I sent them to the recycle bin of the
laptop. Then I believe I may have removed the USB key before it was
done unloading.

Then ALL the 2Gb of documents in “my documents” disappeared utterly.
Otherwise the computer is fine, works fine etc. A search can’t find
them.
So I plugged the USB key back in, and tried restoring the files from
out of the recycle bin. They went to the computer’s ‘my documents’
instead.
A great many if not all the files bounced around from the USB had
duplicates in the computer’s ‘my documents’ so the problem may have
begun there. Losing most of them is no problem – they still exist on
the old pc. My question one: is it possible to recover the WORD files
I wrote today?
And two: this netbook has some program like SafeConfig – says it will
restore the system to an earlier ‘snapshot.’ Might it be useful? (I
haven’t found it yet but it may be the Acer restore thing)
and what happened?

From: audaxrex on
On Nov 7, 7:11 pm, "audax...(a)hotmail.com" <audax...(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
> I have done a dismal, dreadful thing with my new Acer netbook… I used
> a pair of USB keys to move 2Gb writing photos music etc. into its
> 160Gb hard drive. One of the keys I used properly… the other I did not
> properly shut off before removing. AND… I had some recent writing I
> was doing as I went.
>    Sooo… I wanted to move the writing back to my old pc… and I decided
> to clear the USB key of files. I sent them to the recycle bin of the
> laptop. Then I believe I may have removed the USB key before it was
> done unloading.
>
> Then ALL the 2Gb of documents in “my documents” disappeared utterly.
> Otherwise the computer is fine, works fine etc. A search can’t find
> them.
> So I plugged the USB key back in, and tried restoring the files from
> out of the recycle bin. They went to the computer’s ‘my documents’
> instead.
> A great many if not all the files bounced around from the USB had
> duplicates in the computer’s ‘my documents’ so the problem may have
> begun there. Losing most of them is no problem – they still exist on
> the old pc. My question one: is it possible to recover the WORD files
> I wrote today?
> And two: this netbook has some program like SafeConfig – says it will
> restore the system to an earlier ‘snapshot.’ Might it be useful? (I
> haven’t found it yet but it may be the Acer restore thing)
> and what happened?

well, it 'dumped' the docs rather than totally crash, i guess... seems
fine now. I've reloaded the files I lost, rewritten the totally lost
stuff, and life goes on. I won't do THAT again, you may be certain -
dax