From: Colin Wilson on
> What version of Windows? And what type of user accounts? When you say you
> removed the previous version of drivers "as far as possible", does this mean
> they _weren't_ removed? Either they were, or they weren't.
> ATI has a software removal tool. If it's not in your add/remove programs,
> then you can google it or use Driver Cleaner, available here:
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
> Previous drivers must be uninstalled when changing cards or chance of
> problems increases substantially.

XP, using admin accounts, having already used the ATI software removal
util.
From: KCB on

"Colin Wilson" <REMOVEEVERYTHINGBUTnewsgroup(a)phoenixbbsZEROSPAM.co.uk> wrote
in message news:MPG.25b63c0833e5f01d989d98(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>> What version of Windows? And what type of user accounts? When you say
>> you
>> removed the previous version of drivers "as far as possible", does this
>> mean
>> they _weren't_ removed? Either they were, or they weren't.
>> ATI has a software removal tool. If it's not in your add/remove
>> programs,
>> then you can google it or use Driver Cleaner, available here:
>> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
>> Previous drivers must be uninstalled when changing cards or chance of
>> problems increases substantially.
>
> XP, using admin accounts, having already used the ATI software removal
> util.

Have you been here:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU-2-ATICatalystSuiteDriverXP.aspx
which mentions the following requirements:
?Administrator privileges
?Microsoft .NET framework
?Microsoft Direct X 9.0 or higher
?Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher

I have never had, and can't find anything specifically related to, your
issue, but see you've been asking around quite a bit. The thread at HTFC
pretty much covered anything I would have suggested. I've been using ATI
since the AIW was new, and never came across that same problem.
Have you used the Group Policy Editor? Maybe a corruption in a setting
somewhere?

From: Colin Wilson on
> Have you been here:

got that lot - or should have

> I have never had, and can't find anything specifically related to, your
> issue, but see you've been asking around quite a bit. The thread at HTFC
> pretty much covered anything I would have suggested. I've been using ATI
> since the AIW was new, and never came across that same problem.
> Have you used the Group Policy Editor? Maybe a corruption in a setting
> somewhere?

It's a home PC, i've been the only user until recently (the driver
issue was apparent prior to this), and i've never used the policy
editor - i'm not even sure it exists in XP home !

I'm pretty much at the stage where i've got about 100Gb to back up,
and might just wipe the lot and start again - i've done well to be
fair, it'll be the first time it's been wiped from new (almost 4
years, which is a record for most machines)