From: Dan Carpenter on
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 02:33:47PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> If it is a problem to use 0 when host is NULL, then the code could be fixed
> in another way.

Yeah. It seems like it would be better to give a clearly bogus number.
I would have said -1 but "scsi-1" looks normal so maybe something like
9999999?

regards,
dan carpenter
From: walter harms on

Dan Carpenter schrieb:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 02:33:47PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
>> If it is a problem to use 0 when host is NULL, then the code could be fixed
>> in another way.
>>

> Yeah. It seems like it would be better to give a clearly bogus number.
> I would have said -1 but "scsi-1" looks normal so maybe something like
> 9999999?

lets spend some bytes:

if (host)
dprintk("scsi%d: hptiop_probe failed\n",host->host_no);
else
dprintk("scsi: no host, hptiop_probe failed\n");

re,
wh

From: Julia Lawall on
On Thu, 27 May 2010, walter harms wrote:

> Dan Carpenter schrieb:
> > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 02:33:47PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> >> If it is a problem to use 0 when host is NULL, then the code could be fixed
> >> in another way.
> >>

> > Yeah. It seems like it would be better to give a clearly bogus number.
> > I would have said -1 but "scsi-1" looks normal so maybe something like
> > 9999999?
> >

> lets spend some bytes:
>

> if (host)
> dprintk("scsi%d: hptiop_probe failed\n",host->host_no);
> else
> dprintk("scsi: no host, hptiop_probe failed\n");

dprintk is defined in hptiop.h as:

#if 0
#define dprintk(fmt, args...) do { printk(fmt, ##args); } while(0)
#else
#define dprintk(fmt, args...)
#endif

So unless someone adjusts the #if 0, there is no code. I guess there is a
danger that adding such an if would actually generate some code?

julia