From: Greg KH on
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:34:28AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> Make variables static where appropriate
> Rename dt3155_<foo_with_long_names> variables to dt_<foo_tla>
> to reduce code length and make more lines fit well in 80 chars
> Remove now unnecessary .h files
> Change indent to use tabs
> Remove unused functions
> Used bool more often
> Checkpatch clean

This is too much in one patch, sorry. It also doesn't apply due to
other changes in these files (that you then remove in patch 3) from
other developers.

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Joe Perches on
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 16:02 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:34:28AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> > Make variables static where appropriate
> > Rename dt3155_<foo_with_long_names> variables to dt_<foo_tla>
> > to reduce code length and make more lines fit well in 80 chars
> > Remove now unnecessary .h files
> > Change indent to use tabs
> > Remove unused functions
> > Used bool more often
> > Checkpatch clean
>
> This is too much in one patch, sorry.

You should be more consistent.

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/newbies-guide-hacking-linux-kernel
Greg even said, "submit one big patch if you want"

> It also doesn't apply due to
> other changes in these files (that you then remove in patch 3) from
> other developers.

No, it doesn't apply because you chose to apply other patches
before this one.

From: Joe Perches on
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 22:34 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > No, it doesn't apply because you chose to apply other patches
> > before this one.
> Those patches were sent to me before yours, sorry.

By like an hour. They were ugly so I cleaned them.
And besides, you didn't act on them for over a month.
I seem to be learning that you little taste.

From: Joe Perches on
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 22:52 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > I seem to be learning that you little taste.
> -ENOPARSE

Choosing competing patches based on date received
order not quality is poor taste.

From: Joe Perches on
On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 12:12 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks(a)vt.edu wrote:
> > > -ENOPARSE
> >
> > Choosing competing patches based on date received
> > order not quality is poor taste.
>
> So you're saying when Greg gets a somewhat ugly but passable patch 2 weeks ago,
> he's supposed to *just know* that you'll be submitting a possibly better one 2
> weeks later and wait for it to show up?

No, I'm saying that when Greg gets multiple
patches for the same module and doesn't act on
any of them for several weeks, (in this case
one 6 weeks ago, and two others 4 weeks ago)
he should select the better patches, not just
apply the first one in chronological order.

> How is that supposed to work in reality?

Apparently slowly and fitfully.

If the cycle time was shorter and the feedback
better, it would be less of an issue.

Greg has explained he was unavailable to look at
patches for an extended period. Unfortunately
that extended period was immediately after a talk
Greg gave and an article Greg authored designed
to generate new contributor patches for staging.

The talk and articled worked.

Many new individuals followed his template format
producing cleanup patches, some good, some less
good. Few if any of those patches received feedback
from Greg or had notice of patch status for that
extended period.

It would be better if the backlog of patches were
order sifted by quality than chronology.

cheers, Joe