From: Jean Delvare on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:29:44 +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> > > *baffled* Why did you think that would work? transmit_cmd()s signature
> > > has 4 parameters.
> >
> > I have no manual in front of me. Did a quick google, but came up with
> > (no hits) info on what that function does. grep showed too many entries
> > to really see why/what this is.

Justin, I think you're on the wrong track here. You seem to be in a
hurry to fix all these warnings generated by gcc 4.6. There is no hurry
at all. Most warnings are false positives, and actual bugs may take
some thinking and knowledge. So rushing is not needed and not
desirable. Going too fast, you might even introduce new bugs, or
prevent old bugs from being properly fixed.

Warnings are a chance to make the code better. The goal is not to fix
them quickly, but to fix them properly. If this is not your intent,
then please stop immediately and let others deal with these warnings.
If you want to help, this is appreciated, but what we need it quality,
not quantity.

> Check out the tool cscope. (Or kscope, if you prefer a GUI.)

Or just LXR online if you don't want to install anything:

http://lxr.linux.no/linux
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.34/drivers/char/tpm/tpm.c#L451

--
Jean Delvare
From: Justin P. Mattock on
On 06/15/2010 02:19 AM, Jean Delvare wrote:

>>> I have no manual in front of me. Did a quick google, but came up with
>>> (no hits) info on what that function does. grep showed too many entries
>>> to really see why/what this is.
>
> Justin, I think you're on the wrong track here. You seem to be in a
> hurry to fix all these warnings generated by gcc 4.6. There is no hurry
> at all. Most warnings are false positives, and actual bugs may take
> some thinking and knowledge. So rushing is not needed and not
> desirable. Going too fast, you might even introduce new bugs, or
> prevent old bugs from being properly fixed.
>
> Warnings are a chance to make the code better. The goal is not to fix
> them quickly, but to fix them properly. If this is not your intent,
> then please stop immediately and let others deal with these warnings.
> If you want to help, this is appreciated, but what we need it quality,
> not quantity.

your right.. I do have this "must get it fixed now, or else
cut your head of mentality".. causing me to rush through things..
who knows why I do this..(I dont know why I do this honestly)

>> Check out the tool cscope. (Or kscope, if you prefer a GUI.)
>
> Or just LXR online if you don't want to install anything:
>
> http://lxr.linux.no/linux
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.34/drivers/char/tpm/tpm.c#L451

At this point though gentlemen/ladies I'm pretty much crapped out now!!
so any answer is going to be skewed. but rushing through things is not
good.

Justin P. Mattock