From: Linus Torvalds on

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Dave Airlie wrote:

> Did I mention that driver is in STAGING?

Staging is for _improving_ the quality of the drivers, not for making it
worse.

We still very much have quality standards. The staging tree is for things
to get in that don't quite _reach_ the standards we expect, but it's not a
blanket excuse for not testing things.

And yes, I expect that stuff can be a bit rough during the merge window,
after all, the whole point is that we can fix things up. But quite
frankly, if _I_ find problems on the few machines I personally build and
test on, then what does that say about the bigger picture?

IOW, I refuse to pull code that doesn't even work for me. If I did, where
would we end up? What do you think should be my minimal quality
requirements, if "Oh, it doesn't even build for me" is too much to ask
for?

So if I find code that doesn't work, I'm not going to just say "whatever".
I'm going to reject it.

Linus
From: Thomas Backlund on
03.03.2010 01:02, Dave Airlie skrev:
>>> x86 after PPC (I think I just validated Ingo).
>>
>> Why is VGA_SWITCHEROO enabled by default?
>
> because it does nothing on anything except the laptops in question and on
> those it does nothing except add a control file in debugfs?
>
> So how am I supposed to indicate to distro vendors that something should
> be turned on? If you think that distro kernel maintainers really
> understand every config option that goes past, I've got a bridge.

Yep. If the help-text for a new config option is well written, a kernel
maintainer will have no problem deciding what to do.
(the help text for the config in question is wery well written, thanks
to whoever wrote that)

And this specific option/feature is already requested by endusers, so no
maintainer will be able to "miss it" :-)

--
Thomas