From: sacgar on
I have requirement to encrypt the windows service config file and web.config
connection strings, I could able to do that for web.config with aspnet_regiis
(C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727>aspnet_regiis -pe
"connectionStrings" -app "/application.ui")
But I am still looking similar kind of way for windows service config file
to encrypt and decrypt.

..exe.config file snippet as below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<configSections>
<sectionGroup name="applicationSettings"
type="System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
<section name="WorkflowTester.Properties.Settings"
type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
</sectionGroup>
</configSections>
<connectionStrings>

</connectionStrings>
<appSettings>

Is there any utility which allows me to achieve that?

From: Gregory A. Beamer on

"sacgar" <sacgar(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have requirement to encrypt the windows service config file and
> web.config
> connection strings, I could able to do that for web.config with
> aspnet_regiis
> (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727>aspnet_regiis -pe
> "connectionStrings" -app "/application.ui")
> But I am still looking similar kind of way for windows service config file
> to encrypt and decrypt.
>
> .exe.config file snippet as below

I don't know of a tool, as I don't spend enough time in Windows UIs, but you
can encrypt the connection string, as long as you are the one retrieving it
and supplying it to your data layer. If you use the automagic FUD in .NET,
you will have to slightly alter things. TableAdapters are the biggest pain,
as the connection string property is internal, so you have to expose it in
the project with models, not the data access project, but this is minor.
After that, you can set the connection string to an unencrypted version
(Repository pattern works nicely, with the one caveat).

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld