From: a on
is there a way to get the actual line of source code of an error that
occurs?

i.e. source code: a=1/0

error description returns "a=1/0"

i can think of an ugly way of doing it, basically put line numbers in
the code to get the error line, then compare that to the .frm text and
copy the text where it matches on the line number. I am hoping there
is a better and easier way.
From: Nobody on
<a(a)b.com> wrote in message
> is there a way to get the actual line of source code of an error that
> occurs?
>
> i.e. source code: a=1/0
>
> error description returns "a=1/0"
>
> i can think of an ugly way of doing it, basically put line numbers in
> the code to get the error line, then compare that to the .frm text and
> copy the text where it matches on the line number. I am hoping there
> is a better and easier way.

Use the free MZTools Addin to add line numbers, and use Erl function to get
the line number.

From: mp on

"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> <a(a)b.com> wrote in message
>> is there a way to get the actual line of source code of an error that
>> occurs?
>>
>> i.e. source code: a=1/0
>>
>> error description returns "a=1/0"
>>
>> i can think of an ugly way of doing it, basically put line numbers in
>> the code to get the error line, then compare that to the .frm text and
>> copy the text where it matches on the line number. I am hoping there
>> is a better and easier way.
>
> Use the free MZTools Addin to add line numbers, and use Erl function to
> get the line number.

but like he says, he then still wants to get the code text at that line
number, i thought that was what he was looking for a way to do?
mark

From: MikeD on

"mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> wrote in message

> "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
>> <a(a)b.com> wrote in message
>>> is there a way to get the actual line of source code of an error that
>>> occurs?
>>>
>>> i.e. source code: a=1/0
>>>
>>> error description returns "a=1/0"
>>>
>>> i can think of an ugly way of doing it, basically put line numbers in
>>> the code to get the error line, then compare that to the .frm text and
>>> copy the text where it matches on the line number. I am hoping there
>>> is a better and easier way.
>>
>> Use the free MZTools Addin to add line numbers, and use Erl function to
>> get the line number.
>
> but like he says, he then still wants to get the code text at that line
> number, i thought that was what he was looking for a way to do?
> mark

I missed that at first too, thinking the same as Nobody in adding line
numbers and the Erl function. He can't get the actual code. Best he can do
is report the line number and then find that line number in his source code.
If you don't make your line numbers unique throughout the entire project,
the error message should also identify the procedure by name (which has to
be a literal string).

--
Mike

From: a on

yes, i want the actual code.

If I'm on the road or away from my computer and I get a support email
on my blackberry or something, which lists only the line number, it
doesn't help me much. If I know the error source, I can perhaps think
of what might be happening.

looks like i'll have to do it the way i propose...make txt files of
the .frm's and do local lookup based on the form name and error line
number. Then send that along.

thanks for the replies.

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:57:33 -0500, "MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu>
wrote:

>"mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
>>> <a(a)b.com> wrote in message

>>> Use the free MZTools Addin to add line numbers, and use Erl function to
>>> get the line number.
>>
>> but like he says, he then still wants to get the code text at that line
>> number, i thought that was what he was looking for a way to do?
>> mark
>>

>I missed that at first too, thinking the same as Nobody in adding line
>numbers and the Erl function. He can't get the actual code. Best he can do
>is report the line number and then find that line number in his source code.
>If you don't make your line numbers unique throughout the entire project,
>the error message should also identify the procedure by name (which has to
>be a literal string).

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: check record size before update