From: =?iso-8859-1?B?R+Fib3IgTOlu4XJ0?= on
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:49:42PM -0700, John Schmitt wrote:
> > > Out: 220 mymachine.mydomain.net ESMTP Postfix
> > > In: HELO mymachine
> > > Out: 250 mymachine.mydomain.net
> > > In: MAIL FROM:<>
> > > Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
> > > In: RCPT TO:<"???B?\" <olpcxcqkkqcgid(a)aol.com>>
> > > Out: 501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax
> [...]
>
> A few lines like this:

> From: "<B3><AF><A6>B<AF>\" <olpcxcqkkqcgid(a)aol.com>
> To: lili928351(a)yahoo.com.tw
>
> are in the headers of an email message sitting in my yahoo inbox.

I think you're confusing two things here:

That To: line is part of the message itself (sent among the mail headers
after the "DATA" SMTP command), while RCPT TO: is another thing (before the
DATA state of the SMTP transaction), it's not even compulsory that these two
things contain the same address ... Just think about mail forwarding and so
on. I don't think it's possible to give "name" before the address at the
RCPT TO command and it's also useless, do that in the mail itself.

This was AFAIK/IMHO :)

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:49:42PM -0700, John Schmitt wrote:

> A few lines like this:

> From: "<B3><AF><A6>B<AF>\" <olpcxcqkkqcgid(a)aol.com>
> To: lili928351(a)yahoo.com.tw
>
> are in the headers of an email message sitting in my yahoo inbox.

If the Yahoo inbox serves a single user, you must ignore all headers,
and deliver email to the local mailbox that corresponds to the user
in question.

Ideally, Yahoo prepends a "Return-Path:" header to the message, that would
the envelope sender address for the "MAIL FROM:" SMTP command. And the
statically defined local owner of the mailbox is the "RCPT TO:" address.

If the mailbox serves multiple local users, Yahoo must support multi-drop
mailboxes, by inserting envelope recipient information into suitable
headers (not "To:" or "Cc:", ...) of the message.

It sounds like:

- Yahoo likely does not support multi-drop mailboxes, and you
are in vain trying to simulate this. It is not possible.

OR

- The mailboxes are not multi-drop, but your software is misconfigured
to try and use them in that way. Don't.

--
Viktor.

From: John Schmitt on
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 07:17:14AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> John Schmitt:
> > I want to thank you and Viktor for replying.
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:18:38PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > > John Schmitt:
> > [...]
>
> Some software author assumes that it can take an address form that
> is valid in message headers:
>
> To: "full name" <user(a)example.com>
>
> and then use that same form in RCPT TO commands.
>
> The correct RCPT TO command syntax is:
>
> RCPT TO:<user(a)example.com>
>
> as defined in RFC documents 20 years ago.
>
> Yes, the software's quoting algorithm is busted, too.
>
> Wietse

Should I file a bug? If so, against which software?

Thanks for your input.

From: Wietse Venema on
John Schmitt:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 07:17:14AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > John Schmitt:
> > > I want to thank you and Viktor for replying.

> > > [...]
> >
> > Some software author assumes that it can take an address form that
> > is valid in message headers:
> >
> > To: "full name" <user(a)example.com>
> >
> > and then use that same form in RCPT TO commands.
> >
> > The correct RCPT TO command syntax is:
> >
> > RCPT TO:<user(a)example.com>
> >
> > as defined in RFC documents 20 years ago.
> >
> > Yes, the software's quoting algorithm is busted, too.
> >
> > Wietse
>
> Should I file a bug? If so, against which software?

If you think it will help, you can try to file a bug for the software
that sends invalid SMTP commands.

Wietse

Wietse

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 03:29:16PM -0700, John Schmitt wrote:

> Should I file a bug? If so, against which software?

That depends on whether what you are trying to do makes sense in the
first place. What are you trying to do? So far you've explained
various symptoms, but not the big picture.

If you are attempting to use fetchmail-like software, and *you*
have told it to extract envelope recipients and senders from
the "To:" and "From:" headers respectively, that's an error
in your approach, not the software. You could argue it should
notice you are misconfiguring it, but that's more of a missing
feature than a bug.

--
Viktor.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last