From: Gary Keramidas on
never really used 2007, so i'm wondering if you've seen this behavior in
2010, or 2007, for that matter.

typically, in 2003, ws3.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row, would return
the last row

but, in 2010, i frequently get debugs on this line when opening a 2003
workbook in compatibility mode.

so, i've resorted to change the code to this and it seems to resolve the
issue:
ws3.Cells(ws3.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

seems excel is sometimes thinking it has a million rows, when in fact there
are only 65000, so it debugs. seems to happen when i open another workbook
with code.

anyone seen this or have a better way?

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

From: Rich Locus on
Hello:

If you want to find the last row, I would recommend using the process
described in John Walkenbach's book, Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA...
it's the same for 2007.

He recommends this process to find the last active row number:

intNumberOfRowsInWorksheet = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
intNumberOfRowsInWorksheet = intNumberOfRowsInWorksheet +
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Row - 1

This combination of statements is necessary in case the data starts in other
than row 1. Try it for yourself.... it's the Industry Standard.

--
Rich Locus
Logicwurks, LLC

From: Rich Locus on
Hello:

I would use what I would consider the "Industry Standard". It is in John
Walkenbach's book on VBA Excel Programming:

Public Sub Tester()
Dim intNumberOfRowsInWorksheet As Long
intNumberOfRowsInWorksheet = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
intNumberOfRowsInWorksheet = intNumberOfRowsInWorksheet +
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Row - 1
MsgBox ("Number Of Rows in Worksheet = " & intNumberOfRowsInWorksheet)
End Sub

Hope that helps.
--
Rich Locus
Logicwurks, LLC

From: Gary Keramidas on
i've seen usedrange be problematic at times. some cleaning of the worksheet
was necessary to get that function to work.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

From: Charles Williams on
Hi Gary,

Here is one possible explanation:
Its possible to have both a compatibility workbook (65K rows) and a
non-compatibility workbook (million rows) open at the same time.

If you dont fully qualify the row count (as in ws3.Cells(Rows.Count,
"A") then its possible that the active sheet referred to by Rows.count
will have a million rows but that ws3 will only have 65K.

I was caught by this kind of problem in 2007 and spent some time
puzzling about it before I realised what was happening.

regards
Charles