From: Heinrich Wolf on
"fisico32" <marcoscipioni1(a)gmail.com> writes:
> For sure, there is an actual physical solution occurring for an observed
> phenomenon.Why is there not a mathematical solution for it?
> Is is the difficulty of the problem or some inherent contradiction/flow in
> how the problem was defined mathematically?
> Any simple example?

Simple on the physical side and famous: the (classical) three body
problem; e.g.

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Three_body_problem

May be commmon ways of teaching suggest that a mathematical function
is always represented by an analytic expression but that's wrong.

--
hw
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

fisico32 wrote:

> Hello Forum,
>
> a question about existence of solution.
>
> Given a problem, we decide for the best differential equation that would
> model the situation, apply initial conditions and boundary conditions.
> What would cause the problem to not have a solution?
> For sure, there is an actual physical solution occurring for an observed
> phenomenon.Why is there not a mathematical solution for it?
> Is is the difficulty of the problem or some inherent contradiction/flow in
> how the problem was defined mathematically?
> Any simple example?

There are mathematically ill-behaved problems like a turbulent flow, for
example. Google on "attractor", "limit cycle".

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com