From: Jan Kara on
Hi,

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 09:21:04AM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > The problem with not issuing a cache flush when you have dirty meta
> > data or data is that it does not have any tie to the state of the
> > volatile write cache of the target storage device.
>
> We track whether or not there is any metadata updates associated with
> the inode already; if it does, we force a journal commit, and this
> implies a barrier operation.
>
> The case we're talking about here is one where either (a) there is no
> journal, or (b) there have been no metadata updates (I'm simplifying a
> little here; in fact we track whether there have been fdatasync()- vs
> fsync()- worthy metadata updates), and so there hasn't been a journal
> commit to do the cache flush.
>
> In this case, we want to track when is the last time an fsync() has
> been issued, versus when was the last time data blocks for a
> particular inode have been pushed out to disk.
>
> To use an example I used as motivation for why we might want an
> fsync2(int fd[], int flags[], int num) syscall, consider the situation
> of:
>
> fsync(control_fd);
> fdatasync(data_fd);
>
> The first fsync() will have executed a cache flush operation. So when
> we do the fdatasync() (assuming that no metadata needs to be flushed
> out to disk), there is no need for the cache flush operation.
>
> If we had an enhanced fsync command, we would also be able to
> eliminate a second journal commit in the case where data_fd also had
> some metadata that needed to be flushed out to disk.
Current implementation already avoids journal commit because of
fdatasync(data_fd). We remeber a transaction ID when inode metadata has
last been updated and do not force a transaction commit if it is already
committed. Thus the first fsync might force a transaction commit but second
fdatasync likely won't.
We could actually improve the scheme to work for data as well. I wrote
a proof-of-concept patches (attached) and they nicely avoid second barrier
when doing:
echo "aaa" >file1; echo "aaa" >file2; fsync file2; fsync file1

Ted, would you be interested in something like this?

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack(a)suse.cz>
SuSE CR Labs
From: Darrick J. Wong on
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 07:16:09PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 09:21:04AM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> > >
> > > The problem with not issuing a cache flush when you have dirty meta
> > > data or data is that it does not have any tie to the state of the
> > > volatile write cache of the target storage device.
> >
> > We track whether or not there is any metadata updates associated with
> > the inode already; if it does, we force a journal commit, and this
> > implies a barrier operation.
> >
> > The case we're talking about here is one where either (a) there is no
> > journal, or (b) there have been no metadata updates (I'm simplifying a
> > little here; in fact we track whether there have been fdatasync()- vs
> > fsync()- worthy metadata updates), and so there hasn't been a journal
> > commit to do the cache flush.
> >
> > In this case, we want to track when is the last time an fsync() has
> > been issued, versus when was the last time data blocks for a
> > particular inode have been pushed out to disk.
> >
> > To use an example I used as motivation for why we might want an
> > fsync2(int fd[], int flags[], int num) syscall, consider the situation
> > of:
> >
> > fsync(control_fd);
> > fdatasync(data_fd);
> >
> > The first fsync() will have executed a cache flush operation. So when
> > we do the fdatasync() (assuming that no metadata needs to be flushed
> > out to disk), there is no need for the cache flush operation.
> >
> > If we had an enhanced fsync command, we would also be able to
> > eliminate a second journal commit in the case where data_fd also had
> > some metadata that needed to be flushed out to disk.
> Current implementation already avoids journal commit because of
> fdatasync(data_fd). We remeber a transaction ID when inode metadata has
> last been updated and do not force a transaction commit if it is already
> committed. Thus the first fsync might force a transaction commit but second
> fdatasync likely won't.
> We could actually improve the scheme to work for data as well. I wrote
> a proof-of-concept patches (attached) and they nicely avoid second barrier
> when doing:
> echo "aaa" >file1; echo "aaa" >file2; fsync file2; fsync file1
>
> Ted, would you be interested in something like this?

Well... on my fsync-happy workloads, this seems to cut the barrier count down
by about 20%, and speeds it up by about 20%.

I also have a patch to ext4_sync_files that batches the fsync requests together
for a further 20% decrease in barrier IOs, which makes it run another 20%
faster. I'll send that one out shortly, though I've not safety-tested it at
all.

--D
From: Darrick J. Wong on
On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 05:01:52AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:09:39PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > Well... on my fsync-happy workloads, this seems to cut the barrier count down
> > by about 20%, and speeds it up by about 20%.
>
> Care to share the test case for this? I'd be especially interesting on
> how it behaves with non-draining barriers / cache flushes in fsync.

Sure. When I run blktrace with the ffsb profile, I get these results:

barriers transactions/sec
16212 206
15625 201
10442 269
10870 266
15658 201

Without Jan's patch:
barriers transactions/sec
20855 177
20963 177
20340 174
20908 177

The two ~270 results are a little odd... if we ignore them, the net gain with
Jan's patch is about a 25% reduction in barriers issued and about a 15%
increase in tps. (If we don't, it's ~30% and ~30%, respectively.) That said,
I was running mkfs between runs, so it's possible that the disk layout could
have shifted a bit. If I turn off the fsync parts of the ffsb profile, the
barrier counts drop to about a couple every second or so, which means that
Jan's patch doesn't have much of an effect. But it does help if someone is
hammering on the filesystem with fsync.

The ffsb profile is attached below.

--D

-----------