From: Jeff Moyer on
"Ted Ts'o" <tytso(a)mit.edu> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 05:20:12AM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
>>
>> Why not? To be clear, I'm talking about an io_submit() with
>> multiple IO_CMD_FSYNC requests, with a kernel implementation that is
>> able to batch these requests.
>
> IO_CMD_FSYNC doesn't exist right now, but sure, it means we don't have

Well, there's IOCB_CMD_FSYNC. But still, this isn't the same thing as
what's requested. If I understand correctly, what is requested is a
mechanism to flush out all data for multiple file descriptors and follow
that with a single barrier/flush (and yes, Ted did give a summary of the
commands that would be required to accomplish that).

There still remains the question of why this should be tied to the AIO
submission interface.

Cheers,
Jeff
From: Jeff Moyer on
"Ted Ts'o" <tytso(a)mit.edu> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 03:13:44PM -0400, Jeff Moyer wrote:
>> > IO_CMD_FSYNC doesn't exist right now, but sure, it means we don't have
>>
>> Well, there's IOCB_CMD_FSYNC. But still, this isn't the same thing as
>> what's requested. If I understand correctly, what is requested is a
>> mechanism to flush out all data for multiple file descriptors and follow
>> that with a single barrier/flush (and yes, Ted did give a summary of the
>> commands that would be required to accomplish that).
>>
>> There still remains the question of why this should be tied to the AIO
>> submission interface.
>
> I don't think it should, personally. The only excuse might be if
> someone wanted to do an asynchronous fsync(), but I don't think that
> makes sense in most cases.

In case it wasn't clear, we are in agreement on this.

Cheers,
Jeff