From: Bernd Eckenfels on
In article <20100507142310.GF13143(a)lh.kyla.fi> you wrote:
> I think the most surprising result of the benchmarks is that ext4
> seems to be significantly faster under LVM than on the raw /dev/sdd1
> partition. Without LVM the variance in run times is much larger.

Sounds like the syncs/barriers never reach the disk with LVM. What mount
journal/sync options did you use? default? Is dmesg telling you that
barriers have been turned off for the lvm case? IF yo uwant it fast and
dirty try nobarrier,data=writeback :)

Greetings
Bernd
From: Eric Sandeen on
Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <20100507142310.GF13143(a)lh.kyla.fi> you wrote:
>> I think the most surprising result of the benchmarks is that ext4
>> seems to be significantly faster under LVM than on the raw /dev/sdd1
>> partition. Without LVM the variance in run times is much larger.
>
> Sounds like the syncs/barriers never reach the disk with LVM. What mount
> journal/sync options did you use? default? Is dmesg telling you that
> barriers have been turned off for the lvm case? IF yo uwant it fast and
> dirty try nobarrier,data=writeback :)

LVM barriers should be working in that kernel, though... still, comparing
mount -o nobarrier on each might yield a clue there.

-Eric