From: jmc12 on
As is well known,monadic first order logic is not post-complete---it
has consistent proper extensions. For example the formula

(1) ExFx ---> AxFx

could be added as an axiom schema without resulting in inconsistency
(its valid in the class of models with a singletom domain).

I was wondered, if there was a paper where anyone has proved some
results about logics which extend monadic FOL? Eg. do ALL of its
extensions involve 'counting' formulas like (1)?

thanks in adavance for any help.
From: herbzet on

jmc12 wrote:

> As is well known,monadic first order logic is not post-complete---it
> has consistent proper extensions. For example the formula
>
> (1) ExFx ---> AxFx
>
> could be added as an axiom schema without resulting in inconsistency
> (its valid in the class of models with a singletom domain).
>
> I was wondered, if there was a paper where anyone has proved some
> results about logics which extend monadic FOL? Eg. do ALL of its
> extensions involve 'counting' formulas like (1)?
>
> thanks in adavance for any help.

By extensions, you mean adding new axioms, like (1), without
extending the language by adding, say, 2-place predicate
symbols?

You're interested in whether any consistent new axiom in
the same language will necessarily limit the size of the
domain?

--
hz
From: jmc12 on
On Aug 14, 1:40 am, herbzet <herb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> jmc12 wrote:
>
> > As is well known,monadic first order logic is not post-complete---it
> > has consistent proper extensions. For example the formula
>
> > (1) ExFx ---> AxFx
>
> > could be added as an axiom schema without resulting in inconsistency
> > (its valid in the class of models with a singletom domain).
>
> > I was wondered, if there was a paper where anyone has proved some
> > results about logics which extend monadic FOL? Eg. do ALL of its
> > extensions involve 'counting' formulas like (1)?
>
> > thanks in adavance for any help.
>
> By extensions, you mean adding new axioms, like (1), without
> extending the language by adding, say, 2-place predicate
> symbols?
>
> You're interested in whether any consistent new axiom in
> the same language will necessarily limit the size of the
> domain?
>
> --
> hz

yes. sorry i should have been more clear---i mean extensions of the
logic (more theorems), rather than extensions of the language.

i suppose i'm just interested in what (consistent) extensions there
are in general. those that if added as an axiom to FOL will limit the
size of the domian (such as the formula (1)) are the only ones i can
think of, but perhaps there are more.