From: timOleary on
It was supposed to be a good external HDD.
after not using it for a while i connected it to two different PCs and
first it is recognized and then screen goes black.

both XP pro, one SP2 and the other SP3.

If I leave it connected then the PC attempts to restart and crashes
again.
both PCs same deal. tried a different PSU and a different USB cable,
same.
Do not have a another enclosure, but am ordering one. It's a WD
5000AAKS
not good
From: Shenan Stanley on
timOleary wrote:
> It was supposed to be a good external HDD.
> after not using it for a while i connected it to two different PCs
> and first it is recognized and then screen goes black.
>
> both XP pro, one SP2 and the other SP3.
>
> If I leave it connected then the PC attempts to restart and crashes
> again.
> both PCs same deal. tried a different PSU and a different USB cable,
> same.
> Do not have a another enclosure, but am ordering one. It's a WD
> 5000AAKS
> not good

Thanks for sharing?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Rick Merrill on
timOleary wrote:
> It was supposed to be a good external HDD.

Was it new or used?
Could it contain a boot sector?
Could it contain an autorun.ini?

From: timOleary on
On Jun 21, 9:15 am, Rick Merrill <Rick0.merr...(a)gmail.nospam.com>
wrote:
> timOleary wrote:
> > It was supposed to be a good external HDD.
>
> Was it new or used?
> Could it contain a boot sector?
> Could it contain an autorun.ini?
>

> > after not using it for a while i connected it to two different PCs and
> > first it is recognized and then screen goes black.
>
> > both XP pro, one SP2 and the other SP3.
>
> > If I leave it connected then the PC attempts to restart and crashes
> > again.
> > both PCs same deal. tried a different PSU and a different USB cable,
> > same.
> > Do not have a another enclosure, but am ordering one. It's a WD
> > 5000AAKS
> > not good

i just got a new external SATA docking station and the drive still
crashes Windows. Not immediately it takes about a minute: two popups
indicate the device is recognized and then
poof.
this drive has lots of data on it, it is still under warranty until
2012

It was always a backup drive never used as a system drive,
but I'm pretty incompetent, and maybe loaded or copied stuff onto it
that do not belong.

So it does the same crash on three PCs using two different
enclosures.
Is this drive cooked?