From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Dan Nagle <dannagle(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> Such as the x86? Who cares about S/360 in the 21st century?

Well, z/Architecture still supports the S/360 floating point
operations, and some additional HFP (hexadecimal floating
point) instructions.

z/Architecture also has full support for IEEE binary floating
point in its BFP instructions, with no HALVE instruction.

I presume the descendants of the S/360 and S/370 compilers
support HFP, and the newer compilers, descendents of gcc,
support BFP.

The machines are out there, but it much smaller numbers
than IA32 machines.

-- glen
From: Dan Nagle on
Hello,

On 2009-10-12 12:14:14 -0400, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> said:

> Dan Nagle <dannagle(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Who cares about S/360 in the 21st century?

<snip S/360 details>

> The machines are out there, but it much smaller numbers
> than IA32 machines.

Point taken.

Do they have f90+ compilers? Just asking. :-)

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle

From: nmm1 on
In article <hb04nq$mfb$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Dan Nagle <dannagle(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>On 2009-10-12 12:14:14 -0400, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> said:
>

>>> Who cares about S/360 in the 21st century?
>
><snip S/360 details>
>
>> The machines are out there, but it much smaller numbers
>> than IA32 machines.
>
>Point taken.
>
>Do they have f90+ compilers? Just asking. :-)

Jim Xia should know. Also, Fortran, of all languages, should realise
that what goes around comes around, and it is quite likely that the
current approaches will change to something more like earlier systems
at at least one point in the next 50 years :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.