From: Tim Bradshaw on
On 2009-11-01 09:11:15 +0000, "joswig(a)corporate-world.lisp.de"
<joswig(a)lisp.de> said:

> Since the market for Lisp hardware crashed at that time, no new Lisp
> processors with better technology and improved designs have entered
> the market.

No new C processors have entered the market in that time either. With
rather few exceptions (anyone remember Sun's special Java chips? Looks
like they did really well then), people don't design processors for
specific languages any more at all.

--tim

From: vippstar on
On Nov 1, 8:14 pm, Tim Bradshaw <t...(a)cley.com> wrote:
> On 2009-11-01 09:11:15 +0000, "jos...(a)corporate-world.lisp.de"
> <jos...(a)lisp.de> said:
>
> > Since the market for Lisp hardware crashed at that time, no new Lisp
> > processors with better technology and improved designs have entered
> > the market.
>
> No new C processors have entered the market in that time either.
With the exception C processors never existed.
From: Kenneth Tilton on
vippstar wrote:
> On Nov 1, 8:14 pm, Tim Bradshaw <t...(a)cley.com> wrote:
>> On 2009-11-01 09:11:15 +0000, "jos...(a)corporate-world.lisp.de"
>> <jos...(a)lisp.de> said:
>>
>>> Since the market for Lisp hardware crashed at that time, no new Lisp
>>> processors with better technology and improved designs have entered
>>> the market.
>> No new C processors have entered the market in that time either.
> With the exception C processors never existed.

Unless we agree that C is machine language in disguise.

kt

--

http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Laughingstock/115923141782?ref=nf
From: joswig on
On 1 Nov., 19:14, Tim Bradshaw <t...(a)cley.com> wrote:
> On 2009-11-01 09:11:15 +0000, "jos...(a)corporate-world.lisp.de"
> <jos...(a)lisp.de> said:
>
> > Since the market for Lisp hardware crashed at that time, no new Lisp
> > processors with better technology and improved designs have entered
> > the market.
>
> No new C processors have entered the market in that time either.

New processors appear all the time, just none that knows about Lisp
(data structures, dispatching, function calling, tags, GC, ...), like
the chips from Symbolics and TI did.

Many processors are very much tied to some language (variants of C and
Java) and you need to use the language provided to exploit the
hardware (like the languages that one now uses to program GPUs.).

Language support is in some chips. ARM chips have for example have
'Gazelle':

http://www.arm.com/products/multimedia/java/jazelle.html

'Gazelle technology is a combined hardware and software solution from
ARM. ARM Jazelle technology software is a full featured multi-tasking
Java Virtual Machine (JVM), highly optimized to take advantage of
Jazelle technology architecture extensions available in many ARM
processor cores. ARM Jazelle technology hardware extensions are
available from over 50 ARM silicon partners. ARM Jazelle technology
software is available pre-integrated into a complete Java platform
from a range of ARM software partners or directly from ARM.'

See the papers on the right side of that page for some background.

From: Tim Bradshaw on
On 2009-11-01 19:19:21 +0000, vippstar <vippstar(a)gmail.com> said:

> With the exception C processors never existed.

Actually, they did. There were processors produced by AT&T / Bell Labs
in the 80s and early 90s which were heavily oriented to C. I think
these were the CRISP and Hobbit (which may have been the same, I'm not
sure.

But my point was that people don't optimise processors to for a
particular HLL any more (or for ease of programming in assembler).