From: Jeff Lacki on
> >> smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
>
> > Do you know what this parameter setting does?

After hours of digging into this, that particular message
seems to have come up because I didnt want plaintext
coming across in the smtp connection so I set:

smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext

By having noplaintext I got the msg because my
dovecot and SASL configs weren't setup to handle
anything but plain and login, so...

in /etc/dovecot.conf
auth default {
mechanisms = plain login digest-md5
}

in smtpd.conf:
pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: plain login digest-md5

Adding digest-md5 solved that error message.

The SASL doc didnt explain about setting up
smtpd_sasl_security_options with noplaintext (afaik) in
what I was reading per the mechanisms so I got lost.

Im just posting this for the next guy who might have
a problem.

Thanks for your pointers.

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 06:22:55PM -0800, Jeff Lacki wrote:

> > > Do you know what this parameter setting does?
>
> After hours of digging into this, that particular message
> seems to have come up because I didnt want plaintext
> coming across in the smtp connection so I set:
>
> smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
>
> By having noplaintext I got the msg because my
> dovecot and SASL configs weren't setup to handle
> anything but plain and login, so...
>
> in /etc/dovecot.conf
> auth default {
> mechanisms = plain login digest-md5
> }
>
> in smtpd.conf:

Irrelevant; that is a Cyrus SASL file. You seem to have confused
Dovecot and Cyrus. Look only at the Dovecot section in the Postfix
SASL_README, and you will see no mention at all of saslauthd nor
Cyrus configuration files.

> The SASL doc didnt explain about setting up
> smtpd_sasl_security_options with noplaintext (afaik) in
> what I was reading per the mechanisms so I got lost.

SASL_README presents a basic setup of Dovecot SASL. Advanced Dovecot
features are documented at http://wiki.dovecot.org/ .

> Im just posting this for the next guy who might have
> a problem.

Let's hope he doesn't waste time on Cyrus, if he's wanting to use
Dovecot. :)

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* Jeff Lacki <jeep(a)rahul.net>:

> Im trying to setup SASL+TLS+dovecot. Overall Ive
> gotten things somewhat working, but have a couple questions
> since Im new to this aspect of postfix.
>
> I get 'fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms' in maillog
> I ran saslfinger and it showed no mechanisms,
>
> my /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf contains:
>
> pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> mech_list: plain login

Forget saslfinger for Dovecot. It was made for debugging Cyrus SASL only. Also
forget /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf. It configures Cyrus SASL, but you want
Dovecot SASL.

You have smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot, which is correct.

You also have smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes, which only let's you AUTH once a TLS
connection has been established.

Turn it off, while you test.

Have you verified SMTP AUTH works without TLS?

If you get "fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms" then Dovecot likely
doesn't export any mechanisms to Postfix. To have it do so you will have to
tweak Dovecots configuration.

p(a)rick

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* Неворотин Вадим <nevorotin(a)gmail.com>:
> I have same problem. When I try to add smtpd_sasl_security_options =
> noanonymous, noplaintext to my config smptd start to say FATAL ERROR))) Auth
> throw dovecot, works perfectly with
>
> smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
>
> but then I only replace it with
>
> smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
> smtpd_tls_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
>
> SMTPD crashed. I really can't understand where is a problem.

Blind guess: There are no other mechanisms installed.

If that doesn't fix it, send debug output.

p(a)rick

From: Jeff Lacki on
>> smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
>> smtpd_tls_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
>> SMTPD crashed. I really can't understand where is a problem.

> Blind guess: There are no other mechanisms installed.

> If that doesn't fix it, send debug output.

Dumb question Im sure, but how does one install other
mechanisms like the ones listed in dovecot.conf:

digest-md5 cram-md5 ntlm rpa apop gssapi otp skey gss-spnego

Im personally interested in digest-md5 and if you have
particular feelings about the others, Id like to know
as well.

Are these yum packages (which I tried under the names above
with no luck)? Where do I acquire them?

Thanks,
Jeff

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last