From: Archimedes Plutonium on
I am surprized Euclid proved there were 5 and only 5 regular
polyhedron. He must have
been a busy man back then.

The Wikipedia on regular polyhedron gives what Euclid performed for a
proof and
it appears to be direct-nonexistence as well as this topological
proof:
--- quoting Wikipedia ---
A purely topological proof can be made using only combinatorial
information about the solids. The key is Euler's observation that V -
E + F = 2, and the fact that pF = 2E = qV. Combining these equations
one obtains the equation

2E/q -E + 2E/p = 2

Simple algebraic manipulation then gives

1/q + 1/p = 1/2 + 1/E.

Since E is strictly positive we must have
1/q + 1/p > 1/2.
Using the fact that p and q must both be at least 3, one can easily
see that there are only five possibilities for {p, q}:

--- end quoting Wikipedia ---

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium