From: Ed Wilson on
Martin wrote:

> What do you slackers use on your 64-bit systems?
>
> regards
> martin

I have the 64-bit flash beta, which adobe has stopped distributing.

How important is security to you? Flash has had a few problems in the past
with security and adobe is not saying when the next 64-bit release will be.

There is some talk about it on a forum that adobe hosts that links to the
page that used to offer the 64-bit version, and a link to someplace else
that is still hosting it.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2889094#2889094

--
Ed

From: Jim Diamond on
On 2010-08-10 at 22:25 ADT, Martin <xtd8865(a)gmail.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-08-11, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)deleteme.AcadiaU.ca> wrote:
>> On 2010-08-10 at 19:55 ADT, Martin <xtd8865(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What do you use on your Slackware64?
>>> As far as I know, Adobe released a a new version of flash some time ago,
>>> but it was only for 32-bit systems.
>>> What is the state of gnash now?
>>>
>>> Whenever I upgrade FF it rightly tells me that the flash-plugin is
>>> out-of-date.
>>> I'm using:
>>> flash-player-plugin-10.0_r45-x86_64-1_SBo
>>>
>>> Watching youtube is usually ok, but it crashes quite often when I open a
>>> website with same flash ads. The BBC iplayer films are fine, but it
>>> can't handle the Channel 4's 4oD clips.
>>>
>>> What do you slackers use on your 64-bit systems?
>>
>> Martin,
>>
>> For other purposes, I have added the 32-bit compatibility stuff to
>> Slackware64 13.1. Having already done that, it easy to use the 32-bit
>> version of firefox (and thus flash player).
>>
>> If this is the only reason you would want 32-bit capability, you might
>> find it a bit of work. (Having said that, the instructions are easy
>> to follow, so it's not that big a deal.)

> Thanks Jim,

> It's actually a multilib environment (Alien's instructions).
Great, you are 9/10 the way there.

> So should I remove FF64 (+flash) and install FF from Slackware13.1
> and then install flash manually from their website?
There is a Slackbuild for flash-player-plugin, but as they note the
Slackbuild is for an older version, so you could download the
Slackbuild and the newest flash and modify the Slackbuild
accordingly. But maybe you will find it easier to just install flash
manually.

Cheers.

Jim
From: Martin on
On 08/12/2010 03:02 AM, Jim Diamond wrote:
> On 2010-08-10 at 22:25 ADT, Martin <xtd8865(a)gmail.invalid> wrote:

>>> Martin,
>>>
>>> For other purposes, I have added the 32-bit compatibility stuff to
>>> Slackware64 13.1. Having already done that, it easy to use the 32-bit
>>> version of firefox (and thus flash player).
>>>
>>> If this is the only reason you would want 32-bit capability, you might
>>> find it a bit of work. (Having said that, the instructions are easy
>>> to follow, so it's not that big a deal.)
>
>> Thanks Jim,
>
>> It's actually a multilib environment (Alien's instructions).
> Great, you are 9/10 the way there.
>
>> So should I remove FF64 (+flash) and install FF from Slackware13.1
>> and then install flash manually from their website?
> There is a Slackbuild for flash-player-plugin, but as they note the
> Slackbuild is for an older version, so you could download the
> Slackbuild and the newest flash and modify the Slackbuild
> accordingly. But maybe you will find it easier to just install flash
> manually.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Jim

OK, I haven't thought about it. Yes, that's ok.

thanks
From: David on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:29:03 +0100, Martin <xtd8865(a)gmail.com> typed
furiously:

>On 08/12/2010 03:02 AM, Jim Diamond wrote:

>>> Thanks Jim,
>>
>>> It's actually a multilib environment (Alien's instructions).
>> Great, you are 9/10 the way there.
>>
>>> So should I remove FF64 (+flash) and install FF from Slackware13.1
>>> and then install flash manually from their website?
>> There is a Slackbuild for flash-player-plugin, but as they note the
>> Slackbuild is for an older version, so you could download the
>> Slackbuild and the newest flash and modify the Slackbuild
>> accordingly. But maybe you will find it easier to just install flash
>> manually.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Jim
>
>OK, I haven't thought about it. Yes, that's ok.
>
>thanks

I'm just returning to Slack after twelve years away. I started with the
original Slackware floppy disk set in the nineties but I find I am now
getting old and forgetful?

Can someone please point me in the right direction to install Flash. I
use Firefox but Slack won't let the plugin installer work. I downloaded
the tar.gz file. How do I get from there to install the thing so that FF
can acknowledge its presence?
--
Regards
David
From: John K. Herreshoff on
David wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:29:03 +0100, Martin <xtd8865(a)gmail.com> typed
> furiously:

>>> Great, you are 9/10 the way there.

>>> There is a Slackbuild for flash-player-plugin, but as they note
>>> the Slackbuild is for an older version, so you could download the
>>> Slackbuild and the newest flash and modify the Slackbuild
>>> accordingly. But maybe you will find it easier to just install
>>> flash manually.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>>OK, I haven't thought about it. Yes, that's ok.
>>
>>thanks
>
> I'm just returning to Slack after twelve years away. I started with
> the original Slackware floppy disk set in the nineties but I find I
> am now getting old and forgetful?
>
> Can someone please point me in the right direction to install Flash.
> I use Firefox but Slack won't let the plugin installer work. I
> downloaded the tar.gz file. How do I get from there to install the
> thing so that FF can acknowledge its presence?

I stuck mine in ~/.mozilla/plugins. It's named libflashplayer.so You
might check your current system with locate to see where it is
currently... locate libflash should find it.

HTH.

John.
--
Using the jch_box.