From: Curt on
On 2010-06-13, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> use the 64 bit nonfree and to hell with potential security wotsits.

Pretty scary wotsits.

> Only one I got working ...

I'm with ya there.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Curt wrote:
> On 2010-06-13, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> use the 64 bit nonfree and to hell with potential security wotsits.
>
> Pretty scary wotsits.

really? got a link to something describing them?

>> Only one I got working ...
>
> I'm with ya there.

Hmm. Not sure there isn't an update to 10.1. Reinstalling the debian
package from backports as I speak..

nope. still 10.0.45

MM. I see what you mean

they have shut down the 64 bit development tree until the bugs are fixed.

Oh well.

Since there are only a handful of us poor users on 64 bit flash anyway,
is it really a target for exploits?

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:13:27 +0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2010-06-13, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>> use the 64 bit nonfree and to hell with potential security wotsits.
>
> Pretty scary wotsits.
>
>> Only one I got working ...
>
> I'm with ya there.

How scary is it really? What can these exploits do on a Linux system?
From: The Natural Philosopher on
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:13:27 +0000, Curt wrote:
>
>> On 2010-06-13, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> use the 64 bit nonfree and to hell with potential security wotsits.
>> Pretty scary wotsits.
>>
>>> Only one I got working ...
>> I'm with ya there.
>
> How scary is it really? What can these exploits do on a Linux system?

I suspect in general access anything you as a user running the browser,
have privileges to access.

I only took a cursory glance, but it looks like the standard 'in
principle, a hacker could create a flash file that executed arbitrary code'

Now if you are not running as root, that probably wouldn't compromise
the operating system, but it might rip through your address books etc.

From: Robert Heller on
At Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:47:03 +0100 The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> >> Pretty scary wotsits.

> >> I'm with ya there.
> >
> > How scary is it really? What can these exploits do on a Linux system?
>
> I suspect in general access anything you as a user running the browser,
> have privileges to access.
>
> I only took a cursory glance, but it looks like the standard 'in
> principle, a hacker could create a flash file that executed arbitrary code'
>
> Now if you are not running as root, that probably wouldn't compromise
> the operating system, but it might rip through your address books etc.

The thing with Linux is that 'your address books etc.' is not one thing
that 90% of Linux users all use. In the Mess-Windows world you have
like 90% (or some such large percentage) of MS-Windows users using
Outlook [Express], so a hacker just needs to write code to hack into OE
address book, and this will work on a large percentage of mess-windows
boxen. Under Linux, the hacker has to write code that can hack,
Thunderbird, Evolution, Pine, Elm, etc. Then it has to figure out
where things are stored (since different distros might/could build each
of the above with different defaults or even ship different versions).
From a hacker POV, it is a real complexity mess. Note: This is not a
proper end-user problem, since end users pick a (single) tool on a
(single) distro and care not how another tool might store stuff on
another distro. (Yes, some people play with different distros and
different tools, but such people are not typical end-users.)

The important bit of advice: don't store things like credit card numbers
or on-line banking (and other 'sensitive') passwords in clear text
files, that the 'arbitrary code' could get to.

heller(a)deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk