From: oliver sandmann on
Hi

I have the following setup:

new postfixserver: sandmann.biz
legacy email system: kosmann.net (I am not root here.)

one email each: oliver(a)sandmann.biz
oliver(a)kosmann.net

normally every mail going to the old oliver(a)kosmann.net is
copy-forwarded to the new mail oliver(a)sandmann.biz. I keep a copy of
every mail locally at oliver(a)kosmann.net, just to be sure and not to
loose a single mail.

Everything works fine!

Except:
When I send mail from oliver(a)sandmann.biz to my old address
oliver(a)kosmann.net, it should be delivered there locally and this mail
should be forwarded to oliver(a)sandmann.biz and should then be delivered
locally here, too.

Partial success:
The first local delivery takes place at oliver(a)kosmann.net

But:
While trying to forward the mail to oliver(a)sandmann.biz it gets rejected
with the following error:
oliver(a)sandmann.biz
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<oliver(a)sandmann.biz>:
host mail.sandmann.biz [80.77.29.210]: 553 5.7.1 <oliver(a)sandmann.biz>:
Sender address rejected: not logged in

I think I understand the underlying problem. Such mails try to do
desired and valid roundtrip starting at oliver(a)sandmann.biz and ending
at oliver(a)sandmann.biz, too. It seems that the From-line stating
oliver(a)sandmann.biz as the original sender while the mail returns to
oliver(a)sandmann.biz triggers an authentication check but as this mail is
in the forwarding process from kosmann.net to sandmann.biz no user
authentication can take place.

Does anybody have a clue, how to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Regards
Oliver

--
Oliver Sandmann

From: Wietse Venema on
oliver sandmann:
> Hi
>
> I have the following setup:
>
> new postfixserver: sandmann.biz
> legacy email system: kosmann.net (I am not root here.)
>
> one email each: oliver(a)sandmann.biz
> oliver(a)kosmann.net
>
> normally every mail going to the old oliver(a)kosmann.net is
> copy-forwarded to the new mail oliver(a)sandmann.biz. I keep a copy of
> every mail locally at oliver(a)kosmann.net, just to be sure and not to
> loose a single mail.
>
> Everything works fine!
>
> Except:
> When I send mail from oliver(a)sandmann.biz to my old address
> oliver(a)kosmann.net, it should be delivered there locally and this mail
> should be forwarded to oliver(a)sandmann.biz and should then be delivered
> locally here, too.
>
> Partial success:
> The first local delivery takes place at oliver(a)kosmann.net
>
> But:
> While trying to forward the mail to oliver(a)sandmann.biz it gets rejected
> with the following error:
> oliver(a)sandmann.biz
> SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<oliver(a)sandmann.biz>:
> host mail.sandmann.biz [80.77.29.210]: 553 5.7.1 <oliver(a)sandmann.biz>:
> Sender address rejected: not logged in
>

> I think I understand the underlying problem. Such mails try to do
> desired and valid roundtrip starting at oliver(a)sandmann.biz and ending
> at oliver(a)sandmann.biz, too. It seems that the From-line stating
> oliver(a)sandmann.biz as the original sender while the mail returns to
> oliver(a)sandmann.biz triggers an authentication check but as this mail is
> in the forwarding process from kosmann.net to sandmann.biz no user
> authentication can take place.
>
> Does anybody have a clue, how to fix this problem?

Thank you for using Postfix.