From: mathew.paul on
Hi,

Is there a simple way to determine the effective frequency response of the
filtfilt implementation of an IIR bandpass filter ? I wish to confirm if I
am getting twice the attenuation in the stop band as a result of the
forward and backward filtering. I tried using an impulse input and compute
the fft of the impulse response, but the fft doesn't look as expected. Is
this the right way to determine the filter response or is there a
simpler/better way? Please do advice.

Thanks

Matt

From: Rune Allnor on
On 4 Des, 13:40, "mathew.paul" <paulmathew...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a simple way to determine the effective frequency response of the
> filtfilt implementation of an IIR bandpass filter ?

Assuming 'filtfilt implementation' means 'forward-backward
filtering,' then the answer is yes.

> I wish to confirm if I
> am getting twice the attenuation in the stop band as a result of the
> forward and backward filtering. I tried using an impulse input and compute
> the fft of the impulse response, but the fft doesn't look as expected. Is
> this the right way to determine the filter response

It's a reasonable way, provided one knows what one is
doing, but...

> or is there a
> simpler/better way?

....there is.