From: Barbara Duprey on
catfan.mn(a)netzero.com wrote:
> Thursday, July 15th, 2010
>
> Hej Barbara,
>
> Great news!! (see below)
>
> I had uninstalled OOo from my system and decided to use Abiword instead (I just need the writing part of OOo anyway). Abiword didn't quite cut it, so today I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall OOo and live with Ubuntu's hard-to-read color scheme. Well...
>
> I discovered that I could reinstall just the OOo Writer (which is all I really need and want anyway) and... THE HARD-TO-READ MENU COLOR SCHEME IS GONE!!! I now have nice black text on light blue background menus!
> YAAAY!!
>
> Please pass this on to the group. Maybe someone there has the same problem.
>
> Thanks for everything! - and for your taking the time to answer my questions in detail!
>
> Ted

I'm very glad you are OK now -- ordinarily we don't recommend trying to
get just part of OOo, but maybe you triggered a different path that way
that is not sensitive to whatever Ubuntu has set up. If you get a good
stable e-mail, you might want to consider subscribing to the "users"
list, it will make further questions about OOo much easier to track.
Good luck, and enjoy Writer!

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 07/15/2010 07:51 PM, Barbara Duprey wrote:
> catfan.mn(a)netzero.com wrote:
>> Thursday, July 15th, 2010
>>
>> Hej Barbara,
>>
>> Great news!! (see below)
>>
>> I had uninstalled OOo from my system and decided to use Abiword
>> instead (I just need the writing part of OOo anyway). Abiword
>> didn't quite cut it, so today I decided to bite the bullet and
>> reinstall OOo and live with Ubuntu's hard-to-read color scheme.
>> Well...
>>
>> I discovered that I could reinstall just the OOo Writer (which is
>> all I really need and want anyway) and... THE HARD-TO-READ MENU
>> COLOR SCHEME IS GONE!!! I now have nice black text on light blue
>> background menus! YAAAY!!
>>
>> Please pass this on to the group. Maybe someone there has the same
>> problem.
>>
>> Thanks for everything! - and for your taking the time to answer my
>> questions in detail!
>>
>> Ted
>
> I'm very glad you are OK now -- ordinarily we don't recommend trying
> to get just part of OOo, but maybe you triggered a different path
> that way that is not sensitive to whatever Ubuntu has set up. If you
> get a good stable e-mail, you might want to consider subscribing to
> the "users" list, it will make further questions about OOo much
> easier to track. Good luck, and enjoy Writer!

I tested on a test machine w/Ubuntu 10.04 (same as Ted says he has):

1. Uninstalled (purged) all OOo (Ubuntu uses the go-oo/novell versions).
2. Installed OOo (Ubuntu) openoffice.org-writer... note that this also
pulls in and installs:
- openoffice.org-base-core
- openoffice.org-common
- openoffice.org-core
- openoffice.org-emailmerge
- openoffice.org-math
- openoffice.org-style-galaxy
- python-uno
Note that it doesn't require Calc, Base, or Draw to install.
3. I then opened OOo Writer. The default style is Galaxy - which what he
likes, but apparently is not included in the (U)OOo default install. And
yes, the menus are now as he described. However, he won't be able to use
any 'File|Wizards' etc., and his installation will not be considered in
launchpad (bug reporter for Ubuntu) without a standard/full install. I
*highly* recommend that he reinstall via:

$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org openoffice.org-help-en-us
openoffice.org-gnome

He can install added theme/styles via:

$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-style-*

That will of course get him back to the issue of the dark menus if he is
using the default desktop Ambiance theme. He can change that by chaning
the overall desktop theme to something like 'Clearlooks', or customizing
the Ambiance theme. Or of course filing a bug at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org
and here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes

Bottom line is that when Ted runs into a problem and asks for help, or
files a bug report on launchpad, nobody will come to his aid as he does
not have a complete/default/standard installation. It's better that he
file a bug, change desktop themes, or both.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org