From: Matthew Wilcox on
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:07:23PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> > It says nothing at all, in short. You need to have a real source, and a
> > real destination. Not some empty filesystem and /dev/null destination.
>
> Sure, I will do that. It's just a lot harder to measure the effects
> on hardware I have access to, where the CPU speed is just damn too
> large compared to I/O speed.

Try running a CPU burner on all the cores. Something that's low priority,
so it'll be preempted by FUSE, and doesn't consume much cache.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."
From: Miklos Szeredi on
On Thu, 20 May 2010, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:07:23PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> > > It says nothing at all, in short. You need to have a real source, and a
> > > real destination. Not some empty filesystem and /dev/null destination.
> >
> > Sure, I will do that. It's just a lot harder to measure the effects
> > on hardware I have access to, where the CPU speed is just damn too
> > large compared to I/O speed.
>
> Try running a CPU burner on all the cores. Something that's low priority,
> so it'll be preempted by FUSE, and doesn't consume much cache.

Umm, that doesn't really make the CPU any slower, it just makes it
consume more power.

Miklos