Prev: witches' brew
Next: INK
From: Jon on
I built and tested this. It seems to work well enough for what I'm going to
use it for. The only problem is it toggles a few times before it latches,
but it eventually does latch. This is the fault state where the generator
feeds back into the dead grid.

http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html

From: PeterD on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:27:38 -0400, "Jon" <jon8338(a)peoplepc.com>
wrote:

>I built and tested this. It seems to work well enough for what I'm going to
>use it for. The only problem is it toggles a few times before it latches,
>but it eventually does latch. This is the fault state where the generator
>feeds back into the dead grid.
>
>http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html

Go away, go far, far away. Does EXACTLY what it is not supposed to do:
back feeds the power grid.

The reason it doesn't work is that you are an idiot.

You spend all this effort designing and building flawed, non-working
systems that are a hazard, when in fact it is trivial to design and
build a system that works correctly.
From: Cydrome Leader on
Jon <jon8338(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
> I built and tested this. It seems to work well enough for what I'm going to
> use it for. The only problem is it toggles a few times before it latches,
> but it eventually does latch. This is the fault state where the generator
> feeds back into the dead grid.

the entire point of a transfer switch is to prevent with 100% certainty,
(even if the transfer switch faults) output from a generator to back feed
into the utility grid- because it's a very dangerous situation.

At a minimum, there is nothing at all in what you made that prevents the
generator output from connecting to the utility.

This is done mechanically in the real world with giant switches where the
moving contact connects to the load and cannot physically connect to both
grid and generator or physically connected the generator to the grid.
There's no way it can fail in a dangerous state, even if you spray the
control electronics with salt water and then walk up to it and try to run
with switch in manual mode.

From: krw on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:05:40 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
<presence(a)MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>Jon <jon8338(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
>> I built and tested this. It seems to work well enough for what I'm going to
>> use it for. The only problem is it toggles a few times before it latches,
>> but it eventually does latch. This is the fault state where the generator
>> feeds back into the dead grid.
>
>the entire point of a transfer switch is to prevent with 100% certainty,
>(even if the transfer switch faults) output from a generator to back feed
>into the utility grid- because it's a very dangerous situation.
>
>At a minimum, there is nothing at all in what you made that prevents the
>generator output from connecting to the utility.
>
>This is done mechanically in the real world with giant switches where the
>moving contact connects to the load and cannot physically connect to both
>grid and generator or physically connected the generator to the grid.
>There's no way it can fail in a dangerous state, even if you spray the
>control electronics with salt water and then walk up to it and try to run
>with switch in manual mode.

Don't feed the trolls.

From: Jon on
http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html

Look at the circuit again. When the generator feeds back into the grid, it
disconnects and latches the generator OFF. The circuit works. Everybody
build one.

"Cydrome Leader" <presence(a)MUNGEpanix.com> wrote in message
> Jon <jon8338(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
>> I built and tested this. It seems to work well enough for what I'm going
>> use it for. The only problem is it toggles a few times before it
>> latches,
>> but it eventually does latch. This is the fault state where the
>> generator
>> feeds back into the dead grid.
>
> the entire point of a transfer switch is to prevent with 100% certainty,
> (even if the transfer switch faults) output from a generator to back feed
> into the utility grid- because it's a very dangerous situation.
>
> At a minimum, there is nothing at all in what you made that prevents the
> generator output from connecting to the utility.
>
> This is done mechanically in the real world with giant switches where the
> moving contact connects to the load and cannot physically connect to both
> grid and generator or physically connected the generator to the grid.
> There's no way it can fail in a dangerous state, even if you spray the
> control electronics with salt water and then walk up to it and try to run
> with switch in manual mode.
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: witches' brew