From: Hans on
My home dir is on a nfs mount. I know, it is an extremely stupid and old
fashioned setup, and apparently not compatible with kde4. Every time I
start kde it complains about two out of three missing sound-cards.
Strangely on the different pc's different sound-cards are missing. If
someone knows how to kill the pop-ups I would be glad to hear. Another
nice feature is that kde now remembers you favorite screen-resolution.
Even nicer is that is will automatically scale down on smaller screens.
So on every big screen I can now enjoy my low laptop resolution. Again,
If someone knows how to kill this feature I would be glad to hear.

--
Hans
Who is almost used to kde4.
From: Jens Stuckelberger on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:00:19 +0200, Hans wrote:

> My home dir is on a nfs mount. I know, it is an extremely stupid and old
> fashioned setup, and apparently not compatible with kde4.

KDE4's great feature is that one is not forced to use it.

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Jens Stuckelberger:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:00:19 +0200, Hans wrote:
>
>> My home dir is on a nfs mount. I know, it is an extremely stupid and
>> old fashioned setup, and apparently not compatible with kde4.
>
> KDE4's great feature is that one is not forced to use it.

Heh! Good one! :)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: D Herring on
On 04/14/2010 07:00 AM, Hans wrote:
> My home dir is on a nfs mount. I know, it is an extremely stupid and old
> fashioned setup, and apparently not compatible with kde4. Every time I
> start kde it complains about two out of three missing sound-cards.
> Strangely on the different pc's different sound-cards are missing. If
> someone knows how to kill the pop-ups I would be glad to hear. Another
> nice feature is that kde now remembers you favorite screen-resolution.
> Even nicer is that is will automatically scale down on smaller screens.
> So on every big screen I can now enjoy my low laptop resolution. Again,
> If someone knows how to kill this feature I would be glad to hear.

You may be better served with a completely separate KDE configuration
(KDEHOME directory) for each machine. So put something like the
following in your shell initialization script.

export KDEHOME=~/.kde-`hostname`

http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Environment_Variables#KDEHOME

Otherwise you will have to fix things on a per-application basis.

For the notifications, I'd try KDE Menu->Settings->System settings.
Then select Notifications and look for the relevant Event Source.

- Daniel
From: Hans on
On 04/14/2010 06:52 PM, D Herring wrote:
> On 04/14/2010 07:00 AM, Hans wrote:
>> My home dir is on a nfs mount. I know, it is an extremely stupid and old
>> fashioned setup, and apparently not compatible with kde4. Every time I
>> start kde it complains about two out of three missing sound-cards.
>> Strangely on the different pc's different sound-cards are missing. If
>> someone knows how to kill the pop-ups I would be glad to hear. Another
>> nice feature is that kde now remembers you favorite screen-resolution.
>> Even nicer is that is will automatically scale down on smaller screens.
>> So on every big screen I can now enjoy my low laptop resolution. Again,
>> If someone knows how to kill this feature I would be glad to hear.
>>

> You may be better served with a completely separate KDE configuration
> (KDEHOME directory) for each machine. So put something like the
> following in your shell initialization script.
>
> export KDEHOME=~/.kde-`hostname`
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Environment_Variables#KDEHOME
>
> Otherwise you will have to fix things on a per-application basis.

Unfortunately a lot is put in kdehome, machine configs like screen and
mixer settings, and application dependent configs like the conqueror
favorites. It would be nice if these were split in two sets of dirs.

> For the notifications, I'd try KDE Menu->Settings->System settings. Then
> select Notifications and look for the relevant Event Source.

Thanks this will work for the soundcard issue. For the screen setting I
will look in to mandatory kiosk settings.

--
Hans

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2