From: Richard Herring on
In message <6dsBh.2866$Jl.1858(a)newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, r.e.s.
<r.s(a)ZZmindspring.com> writes
>"Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajonospam(a)andrew.cmu.edu> wrote ...
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, r.e.s. wrote:
>>> "r.e.s." <r.s(a)ZZmindspring.com> wrote ...
>>> ^^^^^^^^^
>>> oops, ciphertext

>> Try adding spaces and punctuation, and the "cook" version
>> becomes the more meaningful:
>>
>> "He said the cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as
>> cooks go, she went."
>>
>> Changing "cook" to "look" throughout produces nonsense.
>
>I disagree. The alternative sentence ...
>
>"He said the look was a good look, as looks go;
>and as looks go, she went."
>
>... is what a man might reply lightheartedly when asked about
>his former lady-friend's looks.

One doesn't refer to "looks" (in that sense) in the singular.

> That would be a reference to
>her good looks leaving her, just as she left him.

10 seconds with Google would have revealed that the "cook" version is a
well-known quotation from the works of "Saki" (H. H. Munro).

--
Richard Herring
From: Unruh on
Richard Herring <junk@[127.0.0.1]> writes:

>In message <6dsBh.2866$Jl.1858(a)newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, r.e.s.
><r.s(a)ZZmindspring.com> writes

>>> Try adding spaces and punctuation, and the "cook" version
>>> becomes the more meaningful:
>>>
>>> "He said the cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as
>>> cooks go, she went."
>>>
>>> Changing "cook" to "look" throughout produces nonsense.
>>
>>I disagree. The alternative sentence ...
>>
>>"He said the look was a good look, as looks go;
>>and as looks go, she went."
>>
>>... is what a man might reply lightheartedly when asked about
>>his former lady-friend's looks.

>One doesn't refer to "looks" (in that sense) in the singular.

Sure one does. It might also refer to report by a peeping tom.

>> That would be a reference to
>>her good looks leaving her, just as she left him.

No.

From: r.e.s. on
"Unruh" <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote ...
> Richard Herring <junk@[127.0.0.1]> writes:
>> r.e.s. <r.s(a)ZZmindspring.com> writes ...
>>>"Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajonospam(a)andrew.cmu.edu> wrote ...

>>>I disagree. The alternative sentence ...
>>>
>>>"He said the look was a good look, as looks go;
>>>and as looks go, she went."
>>>
>>>... is what a man might reply lightheartedly when asked about
>>>his former lady-friend's looks.
>
>>One doesn't refer to "looks" (in that sense) in the singular.
>
> Sure one does. It might also refer to report by a peeping tom.
>

>>> That would be a reference to
>>>her good looks leaving her, just as she left him.
>
> No.

Yes, *possibly*.

>>10 seconds with Google would have revealed that the "cook" version is a
>>well-known quotation from the works of "Saki" (H. H. Munro).

I didn't need 10 seconds with Google -- the "cook" version is
the solution *I* posted. The rest of this thread has been
about the fact that the "look" solution is also *possible*.
From: r.e.s. on
"r.e.s." <r.s(a)ZZmindspring.com> wrote ...
> I didn't need 10 seconds with Google -- the "cook" version is
> the solution *I* posted. The rest of this thread has been
> about the fact that the "look" solution is also *possible*.
oops, I intended: the "look" *sentence* is also *meaningful*

I never proposed the "look" version as a solution, but was
discussing it as a meaningful sentence -- to me it has
connotations that make it even more "meaningful".