From: freddy007 on
I've just taken over a klunky but functional application for a new
client. They are running Access 2000. It's a BE-FE system, no security
features, BE connects to server on a LAN. They have one main form that
has about 6 tabs, and lots of data loaded on each tab, so it's kind of
resource heavy to load, but it usually loads pretty quickly. Here is
the scenario that causes the problem:
I take the front end home to make some modifications. (using a copy of
the BE to work with - form loads just fine on my computer)
I bring back the new FE and install it on one of their workstations
(Windows XP desktop computer, on C drive)
The first time I try to load the main form, it takes maybe 20 minutes
to open on that machine.
After that initial opening, the form opens up just fine, in less than
10 seconds.
After I do this, the other users of the database encounter the same 20
minute problem on first opening the form, even if they haven't
installed the new FE on their machines, just using their existing FE
and BE.
It seems like it must have something to do with the connections
between FE and BE, which maybe get messed up when I run a new FE
against the BE?
I'd love suggestions of things to look for, like a checklist of
possible causes to rule out.
thanks in advance!
From: Bob Alston on
freddy007 wrote:
> I've just taken over a klunky but functional application for a new
> client. They are running Access 2000. It's a BE-FE system, no security
> features, BE connects to server on a LAN. They have one main form that
> has about 6 tabs, and lots of data loaded on each tab, so it's kind of
> resource heavy to load, but it usually loads pretty quickly. Here is
> the scenario that causes the problem:
> I take the front end home to make some modifications. (using a copy of
> the BE to work with - form loads just fine on my computer)
> I bring back the new FE and install it on one of their workstations
> (Windows XP desktop computer, on C drive)
> The first time I try to load the main form, it takes maybe 20 minutes
> to open on that machine.
> After that initial opening, the form opens up just fine, in less than
> 10 seconds.
> After I do this, the other users of the database encounter the same 20
> minute problem on first opening the form, even if they haven't
> installed the new FE on their machines, just using their existing FE
> and BE.
> It seems like it must have something to do with the connections
> between FE and BE, which maybe get messed up when I run a new FE
> against the BE?
> I'd love suggestions of things to look for, like a checklist of
> possible causes to rule out.
> thanks in advance!
Sounds like compilation on first use. Suggest you compile - make an MDE
and distribute that to all.

doesn't make sense that after a change to your FE only - without
touching the BE - could affect another FE not changed. If truly
happening, I would look at the server load and memory.

Bob
From: Banana on
On 7/7/10 6:59 PM, freddy007 wrote:
> It seems like it must have something to do with the connections
> between FE and BE, which maybe get messed up when I run a new FE
> against the BE?

Here's a test that may help narrow the cause - does the same 20 minutes
wait occur for an unchanged FE when we go to linked table and force
refresh for all tables with re-selecting the location of BE? (e.g. Not
just clicking the Refresh but also checking the checkbox and then
clicking Refresh to bring up the file dialog to navigate to the BE)
From: freddy007 on
On Jul 7, 7:28 pm, Banana <Ban...(a)Republic.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/10 6:59 PM, freddy007 wrote:
>
> > It seems like it must have something to do with the connections
> > between FE and BE, which maybe get messed up when I run a new FE
> > against the BE?
>
> Here's a test that may help narrow the cause - does the same 20 minutes
> wait occur for an unchanged FE when we go to linked table and force
> refresh for all tables with re-selecting the location of BE? (e.g. Not
> just clicking the Refresh but also checking the checkbox and then
> clicking Refresh to bring up the file dialog to navigate to the BE)

I haven't had a chance to try that exact thing, but I'm assuming that
yes that would cause it. If so, what do you think is the cause?