From: Marek Vasut on
Dne St 3. března 2010 06:13:12 Pavel Machek napsal(a):
> Hi!

> > > I think you'll agree above is not an elegant solution.
> >
> > I could make it a config option.
>
> You get about 10 complains already, but you are not willing to solve
> it. No, config option does not help.
>
> If you want to, make it separate patch so we can reject it separately.

> > > Reading above code, it looks like this new userspace sysfs attribute
> > > is for backlight control. Could that be better exposed using the
> > > existing backlight class?
> >
> > I looked at the backlight class and it didn't seem to be a very good fit.
> >
> > /* This structure defines all the properties of a backlight */
> > struct backlight_properties {
> >
> > /* Current User requested brightness (0 - max_brightness) */
> > int brightness;
> > /* Maximal value for brightness (read-only) */
> > int max_brightness;
> > /* Current FB Power mode (0: full on, 1..3: power saving
> >
> > modes; 4: full off), see FB_BLANK_XXX */
> >
> > int power;
> > /* FB Blanking active? (values as for power) */
> > /* Due to be removed, please use (state & BL_CORE_FBBLANK) */
> > int fb_blank;
> > /* Flags used to signal drivers of state changes */
> > /* Upper 4 bits are reserved for driver internal use */
> > unsigned int state;
> >
> > };
> >
> > The g13's backlight doesn't support any of these properties. All you can
> > set is an rgb value on the g13; no power modes, no brightness, etc. I
> > could add a brightness attribute by scaling the rgb values, but I would
> > prefer to do that from userspace rather than the driver since it's not
> > supported in the device itself.
> >
> > And, we'd still have to have the rgb attribute since the backlight class
> > doesn't have color.
>
> Or you could pretend you have 3 different backlights? ....which is
> actually what you have...?
> Pavel

Any updates on this?

btw. it'd be good if we could use the g13fb on G15 ... would that be possible?
Cheers!
From: Jiri Kosina on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010, Marek Vasut wrote:

> > > I could make it a config option.
> >
> > You get about 10 complains already, but you are not willing to solve
> > it. No, config option does not help.
> >
> > If you want to, make it separate patch so we can reject it separately.

> > > I looked at the backlight class and it didn't seem to be a very good fit.
> > >
> > > /* This structure defines all the properties of a backlight */
> > > struct backlight_properties {
> > >
> > > /* Current User requested brightness (0 - max_brightness) */
> > > int brightness;
> > > /* Maximal value for brightness (read-only) */
> > > int max_brightness;
> > > /* Current FB Power mode (0: full on, 1..3: power saving
> > >
> > > modes; 4: full off), see FB_BLANK_XXX */
> > >
> > > int power;
> > > /* FB Blanking active? (values as for power) */
> > > /* Due to be removed, please use (state & BL_CORE_FBBLANK) */
> > > int fb_blank;
> > > /* Flags used to signal drivers of state changes */
> > > /* Upper 4 bits are reserved for driver internal use */
> > > unsigned int state;
> > >
> > > };
> > >
> > > The g13's backlight doesn't support any of these properties. All you can
> > > set is an rgb value on the g13; no power modes, no brightness, etc. I
> > > could add a brightness attribute by scaling the rgb values, but I would
> > > prefer to do that from userspace rather than the driver since it's not
> > > supported in the device itself.
> > >
> > > And, we'd still have to have the rgb attribute since the backlight class
> > > doesn't have color.
> >
> > Or you could pretend you have 3 different backlights? ....which is
> > actually what you have...?
> > Pavel
>
> Any updates on this?
>
> btw. it'd be good if we could use the g13fb on G15 ... would that be possible?
> Cheers!

Rick, please correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I remember, you have
gathered quite some feedback and were about to incorporate them and
re-submit the driver, which hasn't happened yet. Is that correct? Or have
I lost track completely?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.
From: Rick L. Vinyard, Jr. on

Jiri Kosina wrote:

>> initialization
>> penguins
>> of
>> and
>> than

>> 0x00,

>> > You get about 10 complains already, but you are not willing to solve
>> > it. No, config option does not help.
>> >
>> > If you want to, make it separate patch so we can reject it separately.

>> attribute

>> fit.

>> can
>> would
>> not

>> class
>> >
>> > Or you could pretend you have 3 different backlights? ....which is
>> > actually what you have...?
>> > Pavel
>>
>> Any updates on this?
>>
>> btw. it'd be good if we could use the g13fb on G15 ... would that be
>> possible?
>> Cheers!
>
> Rick, please correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I remember, you have
> gathered quite some feedback and were about to incorporate them and
> re-submit the driver, which hasn't happened yet. Is that correct? Or have
> I lost track completely?

I've been waiting to resubmit until I get some of the userspace libraries
and utilities a little more mature. There were some things I was exposing
to sysfs that I didn't absolutely need, and some others that I needed to
add.

The cairo and papyrus libraries are (preliminarily) fully working. Once I
make sure I have everything the daemon will need I'll resubmit the driver,
and once that is done I was planning on submitting the libs/utils to
Fedora.

For now, I've been dropping Fedora 12/13 patches and kernel SRPMS here:
http://miskatonic.cs.nmsu.edu/g13/

And the userspace libraries/utilities are at:
http://g13.sourceforge.net

As for the g13fb on the G15... I would imagine it could be done, but I
don't have a G15 so I can't say for sure.

If I had to guess I think you'll have to take the core functionality of
the keyboard driver and extend it with the fb code in the _same_ driver if
the keyboard and display use a similar design to the G13.

The G13 uses the same endpoint for both keyboard input and display
messages, and since a USB endpoint can't be shared across drivers both
will have to reside in the same driver.

--

Rick

From: Bruno Prémont on
Hi Rick,

Please check how your driver behaves if the framebuffer is still in use
(open and/or mmapped) by some userspace process when you unplug the
keyboard.

Probably you will get hit be the same complaints from kernel I was seeing
with PicoLCD driver (see my patch http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/5/30/15 that
is expected to fix it on PicoLCD side, the refcounting part of the patch)

Bruno

From: Jiri Kosina on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Bruno Pr�mont wrote:

> Please check how your driver behaves if the framebuffer is still in use
> (open and/or mmapped) by some userspace process when you unplug the
> keyboard.
>
> Probably you will get hit be the same complaints from kernel I was seeing
> with PicoLCD driver (see my patch http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/5/30/15 that
> is expected to fix it on PicoLCD side, the refcounting part of the patch)

BTW I'd like to have this fixed, but I haven't seen any Acks from
framebuffer people, which I'd really like to have before taking it through
my tree.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina