From: sisteragent on
i have pace per mile in minutes and total distance. I want to calculate
total minutes. What are the formulas I use? I'm currently showing pace per
mile as "10:00" or 10 min per mile.
From: Jacob Skaria on
With pace per mile in cell A1 and the distance in B1 try the below formula
=A1*B1

and custom format the cell to
[h]:mm

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

From: Fred Smith on
Jacob's recommendation will work if you are actually entering 10:00 in your
cell. However, when you enter a time with only one colon, Excel assumes you
are entering hours and minutes (which would be closer to my pace), not
minutes and seconds. Again, if you continue to fake out Excel by using a
format of [hh]:mm, then all will look good. But if you try to do anything
more sophisticated with your data, you run the risk of getting hopelessly
confused.

I would recommend you enter your data as minutes and seconds, either as:
0:10 or 0:10:00 or 10:00.0
Then use Jacob's formula to calculate your total time, and display with a
format of m:ss, or, if you're running for more than an hour, use h:mm:ss.

Regards,
Fred