From: Govinda on
Hi All

I am working on a page which will write out a file (using another
server-side language) and then that file will get uploaded nightly to
someone else's FTP directory, on a 3rd party remote server.
As I start to contemplate that last part about auto-uploading to
someone else's FTP directory it escapes me what that code will need to
look like..
I have some ideas, but I thought to just ask you first.

Can someone outline that pseudo code in PHP for me? .. so I can
translate it to the language I am working with?
Or is this a shell operation? (where I am even more green.)

------------
Govinda
govinda.webdnatalk(a)gmail.com

From: shiplu on
You have to maintain a queue if I understand it properly.

PHP page will send request on one end of queue.
And the server side cron will process from other end.
Cron will upload it to ftp.

Now you can implement a queue using database table or you can just use a file.

Shiplu Mokadd.im
My talks, http://talk.cmyweb.net
Follow me, http://twitter.com/shiplu
From: Govinda on
> You have to maintain a queue if I understand it properly.
>
> PHP page will send request on one end of queue.
> And the server side cron will process from other end.
> Cron will upload it to ftp.
>
> Now you can implement a queue using database table or you can just
> use a file.

can you elaborate? This kind of thing is all new to me. I need to
see some sample code to even start to get an idea.

Thanks for your (all) time,
-Govinda
From: "Daniel P. Brown" on
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 19:53, Govinda <govinda.webdnatalk(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> can you elaborate?  This kind of thing is all new to me.  I need to see some
> sample code to even start to get an idea.

Hopefully Tedd will notice this thread. He's the man when it
comes to sample code. While there may be nothing directly-related to
this (I don't know, I haven't looked), you may want to check
http://php1.net/ to see some of his other samples for other issues
that come up.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
UNADVERTISED DEDICATED SERVER SPECIALS
From: Govinda on
>> can you elaborate? This kind of thing is all new to me. I need to
>> see some
>> sample code to even start to get an idea.
>
> Hopefully Tedd will notice this thread. He's the man when it
> comes to sample code. While there may be nothing directly-related to
> this (I don't know, I haven't looked), you may want to check
> http://php1.net/ to see some of his other samples for other issues
> that come up.

I looked through Tedd's things there (thanks! :-) but did not see
anything on that topic.
Meanwhile someone on another list suggested I use curl, from the
command line (which I can access from my script).

Surely I can find some forum or talk list somewhere to get help with
that if I get stuck.. but I thought to ask here before this thread dies:

do you guys have any suggestions - what are your favorite places to
discuss technicalities surrounding issuing commands on the command line?
(If I said that right.)