From: Rene Veerman on
Hi..

As a way to take a few steps back from the kinda heated "when will php
grow up and support threading" thread, i'm requesting you people list
how you scale from 1 server to many servers; what's called cloud
computing.

In particular, i'm interested in how to set up an application that
deals with great amounts of input from many 3rd-party servers, and say
a million concurrent viewers who need html calculated from those input
streams.

So this goes beyond 1 mysql server, and beyond 1 php server.

Let's hear it, coz quite frankly i have my doubts about php's ability
to scale to cloud computing.
From: Nilesh Govindarajan on
On 03/24/2010 05:25 PM, Rene Veerman wrote:
> Hi..
>
> As a way to take a few steps back from the kinda heated "when will php
> grow up and support threading" thread, i'm requesting you people list
> how you scale from 1 server to many servers; what's called cloud
> computing.
>
> In particular, i'm interested in how to set up an application that
> deals with great amounts of input from many 3rd-party servers, and say
> a million concurrent viewers who need html calculated from those input
> streams.
>
> So this goes beyond 1 mysql server, and beyond 1 php server.
>
> Let's hear it, coz quite frankly i have my doubts about php's ability
> to scale to cloud computing.

Isn't multiple php processing servers possible using FastCGI protocol ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator
From: jose javier parra sanchez on
I have already answer that on the other thread, but anyway
http://nanoserv.si.kz/ , or use the web webserver made with it
http://nanoweb.si.kz/. And thinking about your 'requirements', avoid
mysql from that equation. There are other faster alternatives in the
SQL world. Or even better think about an alternative like mongodb that
scale really well.

From: Per Jessen on
Rene Veerman wrote:

> Hi..
>=20
> As a way to take a few steps back from the kinda heated "when will ph=
> grow up and support threading" thread, i'm requesting you people list=

> how you scale from 1 server to many servers; what's called cloud
> computing.

Scaling to N boxes is first a matter of distributing the load.=20
Personally I like to use LVS for that - if you're aiming really high,
maybe supersparrow. =20
Second you will have to look at how to distribute the data - usually th=
answer is segmentation or replication, with a few different twists.=20=

To reduce network traffic and response times, cacheing comes into it in=

many places.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (14.1=C2=B0C)

From: Nilesh Govindarajan on
On 03/24/2010 05:31 PM, jose javier parra sanchez wrote:
> I have already answer that on the other thread, but anyway
> http://nanoserv.si.kz/ , or use the web webserver made with it
> http://nanoweb.si.kz/. And thinking about your 'requirements', avoid
> mysql from that equation. There are other faster alternatives in the
> SQL world. Or even better think about an alternative like mongodb that
> scale really well.
>
> 2010/3/24 Rene Veerman<rene7705(a)gmail.com>:
>> Hi..
>>
>> As a way to take a few steps back from the kinda heated "when will php
>> grow up and support threading" thread, i'm requesting you people list
>> how you scale from 1 server to many servers; what's called cloud
>> computing.
>>
>> In particular, i'm interested in how to set up an application that
>> deals with great amounts of input from many 3rd-party servers, and say
>> a million concurrent viewers who need html calculated from those input
>> streams.
>>
>> So this goes beyond 1 mysql server, and beyond 1 php server.
>>
>> Let's hear it, coz quite frankly i have my doubts about php's ability
>> to scale to cloud computing.
>>
>> --

Even recent PostgreSQL offer much more better speed and performance as
compared to MySQL. No I'm not joking about it or telling this just by
reading articles on the web.

Its my experience. I moved my drupal site from MySQL to PostgreSQL (all
latest) to see a huge performance boost. :)

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator