From: someone watching on
John, very interesting and informative post! I knew disks were checked when
the 'dirty bit' was set but didn't know how to set it. Also didn't know only
chkdsk could UNset it! This technique will come in handy when away for a day
and want all volumes scanned. There is a question there however; being I'd
like SURFACE SCAN (chkdsk /f /R), how can one have surface scan automated at
startup? Does the registry have a entry for changing chkdsk defaults?

Regarding entering chkdsk in a cmd window for each volume and following the
prompts; great idea, have tried it and it works well albeit I did not try
with /R switch (only /F).

Lastly, pretty neat with the BootExecute registry trick! It's an option I'll
keep in mind (in fact I've already saved your post for future reference).

For what I'm wanting to do it looks like seeting the dirty bit would be the
fastest and easiest method, provided chkdsk will automatically start (and
run) with the /R switch ... so if you know how to have chkdsk start with a
dirty bit with the /R switch, please let me know.

Many thanks!

From: John John - MVP on
someone watching wrote:
> John, very interesting and informative post! I knew disks were checked when
> the 'dirty bit' was set but didn't know how to set it. Also didn't know only
> chkdsk could UNset it! This technique will come in handy when away for a day
> and want all volumes scanned. There is a question there however; being I'd
> like SURFACE SCAN (chkdsk /f /R), how can one have surface scan automated at
> startup? Does the registry have a entry for changing chkdsk defaults?
>
> Regarding entering chkdsk in a cmd window for each volume and following the
> prompts; great idea, have tried it and it works well albeit I did not try
> with /R switch (only /F).
>
> Lastly, pretty neat with the BootExecute registry trick! It's an option I'll
> keep in mind (in fact I've already saved your post for future reference).
>
> For what I'm wanting to do it looks like seeting the dirty bit would be the
> fastest and easiest method, provided chkdsk will automatically start (and
> run) with the /R switch ... so if you know how to have chkdsk start with a
> dirty bit with the /R switch, please let me know.

There are no user configurable settings for the way chkdsk runs on dirty
volumes, this is coded within the operating system and it can't be changed.

You can use the /r switch with user scheduled chkdsk, no need to use the
/f switch with the /r switch, /r implies /f.

By the way, none of my business, but running chkdsk as a preventive
maintenance routine on NTFS volumes is for most parts completely
unnecessary, NTFS is self healing and the operating system constantly
verifies and corrects any files system or disk errors without user
knowledge or intervention. Chkdsk can be run if you suspect errors or
problems but otherwise you can run for *years* without ever running a
chkdsk and this would in no way put your machine at greater risk than
one where chkdsk was regularly run. Also keep in mind that there is
*always* a risk of data loss when chkdsk is run, your backups should be
up to date before you run chkdsk!

John
From: Billns on
On 5/2/2010 1:13 PM, someone watching wrote:
> "Billns"<billns(a)nsverizon.net> wrote in message
>> On 5/2/2010 5:02 AM, someone watching wrote:
>>> I researched this on google and found nothing. There's plenty on how to
>>> check a specific volume but found nothing on checking ALL local drives
>>> at boot.
>>> It appears chkdsk has no command line switch for /all drives or a
>>> parameter file (like earlier versions). Anyone know how to do it?
>>> Thanks
>>
>> You could create a batch file that runs at startup:
>
> That's an idea, but where do I place the bat (or CMD?) file and where does
> the command line go to execute it before GUI?
>
> BTW, don't want to do this every time but occasionally, especially for
> surface scan feature.

You could run the batch file at shutdown instead. If you are using the
/f parameter chkdsk won't run on the OS partition but will offer to run
on the next boot. As John has pointed out it's very seldom necessary to
run chkdsk on NTFS volumes.

I'd run a low-level disk diagnostic tool, such as SMART if your bios
supports it, if I were really concerned about surface scan.

Bill
From: Andrew E. on
Try run,type: CLEANMGR /SAGESET Choose the options,once thru,return
to run,type: CLEANMGR /SAGERUN
This also works in cmd prompt,with that option,you might type:
CLEANMGR /SAGERUN /Scanboot

From: Bob I on
Perhaps you replied to the wrong thread, again.