From: Rajkumar Surabhi on
Hi all,

In my application i have to get the word which contains given word.

example

sentence: iam testung the aplication

i want to extract the word which starts with test

how to do this

From: Jesús Gabriel y Galán on
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Rajkumar Surabhi
<mailtorajuit(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> In my application i have to get the word which contains given word.
> example
> sentence: iam testung the aplication
> i want to extract the word which starts with test
> how to do this

You can do it with a regular expression. Here is an example:

irb(main):001:0> s = "i am testing the app"
=> "i am testing the app"
irb(main):004:0> s[/\btest\w*/]
=> "testing"

\b --> word boundary
\w --> word character

Jesus.

From: Jean G. on
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Rajkumar Surabhi
<mailtorajuit(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In my application i have to get the word which contains given word.
>
> example
>
> sentence: iam testung the aplication
>
> i want to extract the word which starts with test

or use scan:

irb(main):005:0> s="iam testung the aplication"
=> "iam testung the aplication"
irb(main):006:0> s.scan /\btest\w*/
=> ["testung"]

From: Rajkumar Surabhi on

thanxs
how to get the first word matches the expresion if i have no of words
which matches.

From: Rolf Pedersen on
If I understand you correctly, this'll do the trick:

irb(main):024:0* s="Iam testung the aplication"
=> "Iam testung the aplication"
irb(main):025:0> s[/\btest\w*/]||s[/\w*/]
=> "testung"
irb(main):026:0> s="Iam running the aplication"
=> "Iam running the aplication"
irb(main):027:0> s[/\btest\w*/]||s[/\w*/]
=> "Iam"

-Rolf