From: MikeJ on
I have a script that allows users to move "windows" (actually floating
tables) about but as they do so text in the background gets
highlighted (because the mouse button is down for the dragging) - can
I hide or disable this highlighting?

Thanks
Mike
From: Martin Honnen on
MikeJ wrote:
> I have a script that allows users to move "windows" (actually floating
> tables) about but as they do so text in the background gets
> highlighted (because the mouse button is down for the dragging) - can
> I hide or disable this highlighting?

How do you attach the even listener? With the W3C DOM Level 2 Events you
should be able to prevent the text selection in an mousedown listener by
calling preventDefault() e.g.
foo.addEventListener('mousedown'
function(evt) {
evt.preventDefault();
// ...
},
false
);

For IE add an onselectstart listener that returns false e.g

foo.attachEvent('onselectstart', function() { return false; });

--

Martin Honnen
http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/
From: MikeJ on
I better go read some more... I was simply using onMouseDown for the
table. I wasn't attaching anything :)
I figured there must be a way to prevent it.

Thanks

From: MikeJ on
document.getElementbyId("12").addEventListener("mousedown", alert(),
false);

I did this as a test. Id="12" is set in a table td. It errors saying
it expected an object. I have this in script below the table.

From: MikeJ on
sorry -
the eror is that 'object doesn't support this property or method'.
I tried attaching it to different types of objects and still same.