From: Patrick D. on
Hi,

My SQL Server 2008 R2 is in a Workgroup, while the PC with the management
tools (sql 2008 R2 version) is in the same LAN, but in a domain.
I can ping the sql server from this pc. For this testing I disabled the
firewall on sql server.
SQL server is in Windows Authentication mode. The protocols "shared memory"
and "TCP/IP" are enabled on sql server.
How can I logon with the local admin-account of the sql server (w2k8 r2 in
Workgroup) from the PC in the domain?
(As you know, you cannot change the user, when "Connect to Server" dialog is
in Windows Authentication mode)

Thanks for your help.

Patrick
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Patrick D. (PatrickD(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> My SQL Server 2008 R2 is in a Workgroup, while the PC with the management
> tools (sql 2008 R2 version) is in the same LAN, but in a domain.
> I can ping the sql server from this pc. For this testing I disabled the
> firewall on sql server.
> SQL server is in Windows Authentication mode. The protocols "shared
> memory" and "TCP/IP" are enabled on sql server.
> How can I logon with the local admin-account of the sql server (w2k8 r2 in
> Workgroup) from the PC in the domain?

The only possibility would be if you were able to do a Run As for that
admin account. That is, you need to impersonate that admin account in
Windows before you start SSMS. But I can't see how you could impersonate
an account outside the domain. Then again, Windows and Active Directory
is certainly not my field of epxertise.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Geoff Schaller on
Patrick.

Not possible. Windows Authentication is just that. The current user
login is authenticated against the domain (when you start windows) and
then checked for valid login inside SQL Server. There is no possibility
of impersonation - by design.

The best solution is to create a SQL Server login and use that.

Geoff Schaller
Software Objectives