From: Marc Heiler on
> Forget apt-get for Ruby. Maybe one day that will work as most people
> expect it should. But today is not that day.

I do not think it ever will. How many years have gone by now since the
first user had the problem with this concerning ruby on debian at least?
3 years?

Debian Users will continue to have split-up packages, and as a result
continue to have all these problems which reoccur every some months on
the list here, or on a forum somewhere else. This is a fundamental flaw
in philosophy concerning packaging on Linux boxes altogether in fact.

The only thing I do not quite understand is why debian developers do not
tell the users loudly that these problems are because of debian, and not
because of the ruby python etc... guys.

From: Ezra Zygmuntowicz on

On Dec 22, 2008, at 12:05 AM, James Britt wrote:

> Tom Cloyd wrote:
>> Greetings!
>> As an amateur, and intermittent, programmer, I often run right off
>> the edge of what I know. Sometimes this seems utterly needless.
>> Here's one such case:
>> In the past year I've switched from WindowsXP to Kubuntu Linux.
>> I've had to reload the operating system maybe four times, plus two
>> more due to acquiring a USB hard drive (now my primary drive), and
>> now setting my up Kubuntu to run from a flash drive. I have to
>> reinstall Ruby each time, of course. And....EACH TIME I RUN INTO
>> THE SAME STUPID PROBLEM, as exemplified by my experience yesterday:
>> I install Ruby 1.8 (yesterday, it was 1.8.7, of course) using
>> either apt-get or the Adept package manager. Then I install
>> Rubygems with apt-get (it's not in Adept's sources, apparently).
>> Ready to GO? You would think so. Naively, I always do. But it's not
>> to be. Now the madness starts, and this is what I want fixed.
>

> http://github.com/thewoolleyman/cinabox/tree/master/bootstrap_ruby.sh

If you use this script you should change line 27 to add the --disable-
pthreads flag

/configure --disable-pthreads

This can cause a 20-100% speed up on the interpreter as long as you
don't need to use tk.

Cheers-

Ezra Zygmuntowicz
ez(a)engineyard.com

From: Chad Woolley on
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> If you use this script you should change line 27 to add the
> --disable-pthreads flag
>
> ./configure --disable-pthreads
>
> This can cause a 20-100% speed up on the interpreter as long as you
> don't need to use tk.

Thanks Ezra, committed:

http://github.com/thewoolleyman/cinabox/commit/a584281d510b03ff91261531f17a2247fe6e97df

I had incorrectly assumed this was the default...

-- Chad

From: Aníbal Rojas on
Tom,

Yes, it is frustating, to make it a little bit simple install the
package: ruby-full which should give you everything that is ruby
related. But you will still need to install build-essential to be able
to compile native dependencies if you require them.

And yes, the differences between the Ruby community and the Debian
packagers always arise, and there are good points at both side about
how to do the things.

--
Aníbal Rojas
http://hasmanydevelopers.com

From: Jörg W Mittag on
Marc Heiler wrote:
>> Forget apt-get for Ruby. Maybe one day that will work as most people
>> expect it should. But today is not that day.
> I do not think it ever will. How many years have gone by now since the
> first user had the problem with this concerning ruby on debian at least?
> 3 years?
>
> Debian Users will continue to have split-up packages, and as a result
> continue to have all these problems which reoccur every some months on
> the list here, or on a forum somewhere else. This is a fundamental flaw
> in philosophy concerning packaging on Linux boxes altogether in fact.

Can you explain how this is a fundamental flaw in Linux packaging?
TeX, Emacs, Perl, PHP, Python, Java, they all share most if not all of
Ruby's challenges: all have their own directory layouts, their own
search paths, their own library paths, their own versioning schemes,
their own package managers, their own distribution formats, multiple
different implementations, multiple different versions. Most have
native C extensions. Most were not created with Linux package managers
in mind -- heck, most were created before Linux package managers even
existed.

And yet, all of them work perfectly fine. All except Ruby.

This reminds me of the guy on the freeway listening to the traffic
channel and thinking to himself: "What are they talking about, a car
driving the wrong way on the freeway? It's not *a* car, it's hundreds
of them!"

jwm